Caspofungin Generic Name:
Caspofungin (KAS-poe-FUN-jin)Brand Name:
Caspofungin is used for:
Treating certain fungal infections.
Caspofungin is an antifungal agent. It works by weakening fungal cell walls, which allows the cell contents to leak out, resulting in the death of the fungus.
Do NOT use Caspofungin if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Caspofungin
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Caspofungin :
Some medical conditions may interact with Caspofungin . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have severe liver problems or are using cyclosporine
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Caspofungin . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Cyclosporine because it may increase the risk of Caspofungin 's side effects
- Carbamazepine, dexamethasone, efavirenz, nevirapine, phenytoin, or rifampin because they may decrease Caspofungin 's effectiveness
- Tacrolimus because its effectiveness may be decreased by Caspofungin
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Caspofungin may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Caspofungin :
Use Caspofungin as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Caspofungin is usually given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you will be using Caspofungin at home, a health care provider will teach you how to use it. Be sure you understand how to use Caspofungin . Follow the procedures you are taught when you use a dose. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- Do not use Caspofungin if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- If you miss a dose of Caspofungin , contact your doctor right away.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Caspofungin .
Important safety information:
- Be sure to use Caspofungin for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Lab tests, including liver function tests, may be performed while you use Caspofungin . These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Caspofungin with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caspofungin should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 3 months old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Caspofungin while you are pregnant. It is not known if Caspofungin is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Caspofungin , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Caspofungin :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Chills; cough; diarrhea; headache; mild fever; nausea; stomach pain; vomiting.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blood in the urine; decreased urine; fainting, fatigue, or dizziness; fast, slow or irregular heartbeat; mood or mental changes (eg, anxiety, confusion, depression, trouble sleeping); pain, swelling, weakness, or redness at the infusion site or in the infused limb; pale stools; rapid breathing, shortness of breath, or wheezing; red, swollen, blistered or peeling skin; seizure; severe headache, dizziness, or blurred vision; severe stomach or back pain with nausea and vomiting; sore throat or high fever; swelling of the hands or feet; swelling of the mouth; unusual bleeding or bruising; unusual tiredness or weakness; yellowing of the eyes or skin.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Caspofungin :
Caspofungin is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using Caspofungin at home, store Caspofungin as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep Caspofungin out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Caspofungin , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Caspofungin is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Caspofungin . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- caspofungin Intravenous Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- caspofungin Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Cancidas Prescribing Information (FDA)