Cat's Claw Controlled-Release TabletsGeneric Name:
Cat's Claw (Not applicable.)Brand Name:
Generics only. No brands available.
Cat's Claw Controlled-Release Tablets are used for:
Stimulating the immune system. It is also said to have anti-inflammatory, antimutagenic, antiviral, and antioxidant properties, which may be useful in arthritis, allergies, asthma, diabetes, chronic fatigue syndrome, cancer, viral infections, irregular menstrual cycles, ulcers, gastritis, and hemorrhoids. It may also have other uses.
Cat's Claw Controlled-Release Tablets are an herbal product. It contains certain chemicals that work by reducing inflammation and fighting certain viruses.
Do NOT use Cat's Claw Controlled-Release Tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Cat's Claw Controlled-Release Tablets
- you are pregnant
- you have or are scheduled for an organ transplant or skin graft
- you have a blood clotting disorder or hemophilia
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Cat's Claw Controlled-Release Tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with Cat's Claw Controlled-Release Tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are planning to become pregnant or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have low blood pressure, are undergoing chemotherapy, or have conditions that decrease your immune response
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Cat's Claw Controlled-Release Tablets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Chemotherapy or immunosuppressants (eg, cyclosporine, prednisone) because the effectiveness may be decreased by Cat's Claw Controlled-Release Tablets
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Cat's Claw Controlled-Release Tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Cat's Claw Controlled-Release Tablets:
Use Cat's Claw Controlled-Release Tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Dosing depends on the use and the source of the product.
- Use as directed on the package, unless instructed otherwise by your doctor.
- Swallow whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing.
- If you miss taking a dose of Cat's Claw Controlled-Release Tablets for 1 or more days, there is no cause for concern. If your doctor recommended that you take it, try to remember your dose every day.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Cat's Claw Controlled-Release Tablets.
Important safety information:
- Cat's Claw Controlled-Release Tablets may cause dizziness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Cat's Claw Controlled-Release Tablets. Using Cat's Claw Controlled-Release Tablets alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or to perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Cat's Claw Controlled-Release Tablets may cause lightheadedness or fainting. Alcohol, hot weather, exercise, and fever can increase these effects. To prevent them, sit or stand up slowly, especially in the morning. Also, sit or lie down at the first sign of dizziness, lightheadedness, or weakness.
- Do not confuse cat's claw with devil's claw. They have different properties and claims.
- Do not use cat's claw while taking chemotherapy. Stop taking cat's claw 2 days before starting the chemotherapy and do not restart until 2 to 6 days after your chemotherapy is finished.
- This product has not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as safe and effective for any medical condition. The long-term safety of herbal products is not known. Before using any alternative medicine, talk with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Cat's Claw Controlled-Release Tablets are not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 3 years of age. Talk with your doctor about risks and benefits before giving Cat's Claw Controlled-Release Tablets to your child.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Do not use cat's claw if you are pregnant. Do not breast-feed while taking cat's claw.
Possible side effects of Cat's Claw Controlled-Release Tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Diarrhea; dizziness; fatigue; weakness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bleeding from gums; blood in urine or stools.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Cat's Claw Controlled-Release Tablets:
Store at room temperature away from heat, moisture, and light unless otherwise directed on the package label. Do not store in the bathroom. Most herbal products are not in childproof containers. Keep Cat's Claw Controlled-Release Tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Cat's Claw Controlled-Release Tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Cat's Claw Controlled-Release Tablets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Cat's Claw Controlled-Release Tablets. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.