Ceftibuten SuspensionGeneric Name:
Ceftibuten (sef-TYE-byoo-ten)Brand Name:
Ceftibuten Suspension is used for:
Treating mild to moderate infections caused by certain bacteria.
Ceftibuten Suspension is a cephalosporin antibiotic. It works by killing sensitive bacteria.
Do NOT use Ceftibuten Suspension if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Ceftibuten Suspension or any other cephalosporin antibiotic (eg, cephalexin)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Ceftibuten Suspension:
Some medical conditions may interact with Ceftibuten Suspension. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to a penicillin (eg, amoxicillin) or other beta-lactam antibiotic (eg, imipenem)
- if you have a blood clotting disorder, diabetes, kidney problems, or stomach or bowel problems (eg, inflammation)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Ceftibuten Suspension. However, no specific interactions with Ceftibuten Suspension are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Ceftibuten Suspension may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Ceftibuten Suspension:
Use Ceftibuten Suspension as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Ceftibuten Suspension on an empty stomach at least 2 hours before or 1 hour after eating.
- Shake well before taking a dose of Ceftibuten Suspension.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- To clear up your infection completely, continue using Ceftibuten Suspension for the full course of treatment even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of Ceftibuten Suspension, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ceftibuten Suspension.
Important safety information:
- Ceftibuten Suspension is effective only against bacteria. It is not effective for treating viral infections (eg, the common cold)
- It is important to use Ceftibuten Suspension for the full course of treatment. Failure to do so may decrease the effectiveness of Ceftibuten Suspension and may increase the risk that the bacteria will no longer be sensitive to Ceftibuten Suspension and will not be able to be treated by this or certain other antibiotics in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of Ceftibuten Suspension may cause a second infection. Your doctor may want to change your medicine to treat the second infection. Contact your doctor if signs of a second infection occur.
- If severe diarrhea, stomach pain or cramps, or bloody stools occur, contact your doctor immediately. This could be a symptom of a serious side effect requiring immediate medical attention. Do not treat diarrhea without consulting your doctor.
- Diabetes patients - Ceftibuten Suspension may cause incorrect test results with some urine glucose tests. Check with your doctor before you adjust the dose of your diabetes medicine or change your diet.
- Diabetes patients - Each teaspoonful of Ceftibuten Suspension contains 1 gram of sucrose.
- Ceftibuten Suspension may interfere with certain lab test results. Make sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are using Ceftibuten Suspension.
- Use Ceftibuten Suspension with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Use Ceftibuten Suspension with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 6 months of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- Use Ceftibuten Suspension with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 10 years of age who have diarrhea or a stomach or bowel infection.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Ceftibuten Suspension, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Ceftibuten Suspension during pregnancy. It is unknown if Ceftibuten Suspension is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Ceftibuten Suspension, check with your doctor of pharmacist to discuss the risk to your baby.
Possible side effects of Ceftibuten Suspension:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Diarrhea; headache; indigestion; loose stools; nausea; vomiting.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody stools; dark urine; decreased urination; fever, chills, or sore throat; joint pain; mental or mood changes; red, swollen, or blistered skin; seizures; severe diarrhea; severe stomach pain or cramps; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual tiredness or weakness; vaginal irritation or discharge; yellowing of the eyes or skin.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include muscle spasms; seizures.Proper storage of Ceftibuten Suspension:
Store Ceftibuten Suspension in the refrigerator, between 36 and 46 degrees F (2 and 8 degrees C). Do not freeze. Throw away any unused medicine after 14 days. Keep Ceftibuten Suspension out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Ceftibuten Suspension, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ceftibuten Suspension is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Ceftibuten Suspension. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ceftibuten Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- Ceftibuten Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- ceftibuten Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- ceftibuten Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Cedax Prescribing Information (FDA)