Celestone SolutionGeneric Name: Betamethasone
Celestone Solution is used for:
Treating severe allergies, arthritis, asthma, multiple sclerosis, and skin conditions. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Celestone Solution is a corticosteroid. It works by decreasing or preventing tissues from responding to inflammation. It also modifies the body's response to certain immune stimulation.
Do NOT use Celestone Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Celestone Solution
- you have a systemic fungal infection
- you are taking mifepristone or are scheduled for a smallpox vaccination
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Celestone Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Celestone Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have recently had or are scheduled to have a vaccination
- if you have a history of an underactive thyroid, liver or kidney problems, heart problems or heart attack, diabetes, high blood pressure, inflammation of the esophagus, stomach problems (eg, ulcers), bowel blockage or other bowel problems (eg, ulcerative colitis), recent bowel surgery, myasthenia gravis, bone problems (eg, osteoporosis), or mental or mood problems (eg, depression)
- if you have diarrhea, measles, chickenpox, herpes infection of the eye, or any other type of bacterial, fungal, parasitic, or viral infection
- if you have recently had tuberculosis (TB) or have had a positive skin test for TB
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Celestone Solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Aprepitant because they may increase the risk of Celestone Solution's side effects
- Barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital), carbamazepine, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), or rifampin because they may decrease Celestone Solution's effectiveness
- Clarithromycin, azole antifungals (eg, ketoconazole), steroidal contraceptives (eg, desogestrel), or troleandomycin because side effects, such as weakness, confusion, muscle aches, joint pain, or low blood sugar, may occur
- Methotrexate or ritodrine because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Celestone Solution
- Hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), live vaccines. or mifepristone because their effectiveness may be decreased by Celestone Solution
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) or aspirin because the actions and side effects of these medicines may be increased or decreased by Celestone Solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Celestone Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Celestone Solution:
Use Celestone Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Celestone Solution by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Use the dropper that comes with Celestone Solution to measure your dose. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If Celestone Solution needs to be stopped (or if a different medicine is added to therapy) by your doctor, this will be done gradually. The risk of side effects may be increased if Celestone Solution is suddenly stopped.
- If you miss a dose of Celestone Solution, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Celestone Solution.
Important safety information:
- Celestone Solution may cause dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Celestone Solution with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Celestone Solution may lower the ability of your body to fight infection. Avoid contact with people who have colds or infections. Tell your doctor if you notice signs of infection like fever, sore throat, rash, or chills.
- If you have not had chickenpox, shingles, or measles, avoid contact with anyone who does.
- Carry an ID card at all times that says you take Celestone Solution.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Celestone Solution before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Long-term use may cause cataracts, glaucoma, and eye infections. Contact your doctor right away if you develop any unusual changes in your vision.
- Celestone Solution may cause an increase in blood pressure, salt and water retention, and calcium and potassium loss. Talk with your doctor to see if you need to decrease the amount of salt in your diet or take a potassium, calcium, or vitamin D supplement.
- Do not receive a live vaccine (eg, measles, mumps) while you are taking Celestone Solution. Talk with your doctor before you receive any vaccine.
- Diabetes patients - Celestone Solution may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Lab tests, including blood electrolytes, blood calcium levels, blood pressure, and vision tests, may be performed while you use Celestone Solution. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Caution is advised when using Celestone Solution in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Corticosteroids may affect growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they take Celestone Solution.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Celestone Solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if Celestone Solution is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Celestone Solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Celestone Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Difficulty sleeping; dizziness or lightheadedness; headache; increased appetite; increased sweating; indigestion; nervousness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; changes in menstrual periods; chest pain; eye pain or increased pressure in the eye; fever, chills, or sore throat; joint or bone pain; mood or mental changes (eg, depression); muscle pain or weakness; seizures; severe or persistent nausea or vomiting; stomach pain or bloating; swelling of feet or legs; trouble sleeping; unusual weight gain or loss; vision changes; vomiting material that looks like coffee grounds.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Celestone Solution:
Store Celestone Solution at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Celestone Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Celestone Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Celestone Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Celestone Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Celestone Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Celestone Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Betamethasone Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Betamethasone Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- betamethasone Topical application Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Celestone Soluspan Prescribing Information (FDA)