Acular PF DropsGeneric Name: Ketorolac
Acular and Acular PF
Acular PF Drops are used for:
Treating itchy eyes and swelling caused by seasonal allergies. It may be used to relieve eye swelling following cataract surgery. It may also be used to reduce eye pain and sensitivity to light following certain eye surgeries. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Acular PF Drops are a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It works by blocking certain substances (prostaglandins) in the eye.
Do NOT use Acular PF Drops if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Acular PF Drops
- if you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, breathing difficulties, dizziness) to aspirin or an NSAID (eg, ibuprofen, naproxen, celecoxib)
- you are in late pregnancy
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Acular PF Drops:
Some medical conditions may interact with Acular PF Drops. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have other eye problems, asthma, nasal polyps, bleeding problems, an abnormal cornea or disease affecting the surface of the eye (eg, dry eye syndrome), rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, or you had complicated eye surgery or repeated eye surgery within a short period of time
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Acular PF Drops. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), aspirin, corticosteroids (eg, prednisone), heparin, or NSAIDs (eg, ibuprofen) because the risk of side effects, such as bleeding, may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Acular PF Drops may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Acular PF Drops:
Use Acular PF Drops as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Acular PF Drops are only for the eye. Do not get it in your nose or mouth.
- To use Acular PF Drops in the eye, first, wash your hands. Tilt your head back. Using your index finger, pull the lower eyelid away from the eye to form a pouch. Drop the medicine into the pouch and gently close your eyes. Immediately use your finger to apply pressure to the inside corner of the eyelid for 1 to 2 minutes. Do not blink. Remove excess medicine around your eye with a clean, dry tissue, being careful not to touch your eye. Wash your hands to remove any medicine that may be on them.
- To prevent germs from contaminating your medicine, do not touch the applicator tip to any surface, including the eye. Keep the container tightly closed.
- Ketorolac PF - Each vial of Acular PF Drops are intended for single use only. Throw away any unused medicine in the vial immediately after you have used your dose.
- If you are using other eye medicines, wait at least 5 minutes before applying them to the eye.
- Do not wear contact lenses while you are using Acular PF Drops. Take care of your contact lenses as directed by the manufacturer. Check with your doctor before you use them.
- Do not use Acular PF Drops if it is discolored.
- If you miss a dose of Acular PF Drops and you are using it regularly, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Acular PF Drops.
Important safety information:
- Acular PF Drops may cause blurred vision. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Acular PF Drops with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor. Doing so may increase your risk for side effects, some of which may be serious.
- Using Acular PF Drops more than 24 hours before surgery or for more than 14 days after surgery may increase your risk of side effects, some of which may be serious.
- If your symptoms do not get better within a few days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you have a tendency to bleed easily.
- Acular PF Drops may cause harm if it is swallowed. If you may have taken it by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- Acular PF Drops should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 3 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Avoid using Acular PF Drops late in pregnancy. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Acular PF Drops while you are pregnant. It is not known if Acular PF Drops are found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Acular PF Drops, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Acular PF Drops:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Blurred vision; eye irritation; eye redness; headache; inflammation of the eye; stinging and burning of the eye while applying; swelling of the cornea and iris.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); continuous pain, burning, stinging, redness, or swelling around the eyes; infection in the eye; unusual bleeding; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Acular PF Drops:
Store Acular PF Drops between 59 and 77 degrees F (15 and 25 degrees C). Store in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Acular PF Drops out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Acular PF Drops, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Acular PF Drops are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Acular PF Drops. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Acular PF Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Acular PF Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Acular Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Acular Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Acular LS Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Acuvail Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Acuvail Consumer Overview