Chloroxylenol/Pramoxine/Zinc DropsGeneric Name:
Chloroxylenol/Pramoxine/Zinc (KLOR-oh-ZYE-le-nol/pra-MOX-een/zink)Brand Name:
Examples include Chlorpram Z and Zinotic
Chloroxylenol/Pramoxine/Zinc Drops are used for:
Treating certain infections of the outer ear. It is also used to control pain and itching caused by these infections. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Chloroxylenol/Pramoxine/Zinc Drops are an antibacterial, anesthetic, and skin protectant combination. It works by killing sensitive bacteria or fungi and temporarily relieving ear pain.
Do NOT use Chloroxylenol/Pramoxine/Zinc Drops if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Chloroxylenol/Pramoxine/Zinc Drops
- your eardrum is perforated
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Chloroxylenol/Pramoxine/Zinc Drops:
Some medical conditions may interact with Chloroxylenol/Pramoxine/Zinc Drops. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have other ear problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Chloroxylenol/Pramoxine/Zinc Drops. Because little, if any, of Chloroxylenol/Pramoxine/Zinc Drops are absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Chloroxylenol/Pramoxine/Zinc Drops may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Chloroxylenol/Pramoxine/Zinc Drops:
Use Chloroxylenol/Pramoxine/Zinc Drops as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Chloroxylenol/Pramoxine/Zinc Drops are only for the ear. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get Chloroxylenol/Pramoxine/Zinc Drops in any of these areas, rinse well with cool water.
- Thoroughly clean and dry the outer ear before using Chloroxylenol/Pramoxine/Zinc Drops.
- Lie down or tilt your head so that the affected ear faces up. For adults, gently pull the earlobe up and back to straighten the ear canal. For children, gently pull the earlobe down and back to straighten the ear canal. Drop the medicine into the ear canal. Keep the ear facing up for 5 minutes so the medicine can run to the bottom of the ear canal. A clean cotton plug may be gently inserted into the ear canal to prevent medicine from leaking out. Repeat, if necessary, in the other ear.
- To prevent germs from contaminating your medicine, do not touch the applicator to any surface, including the ear. Keep the container tightly closed.
- Wash your hands right away after using Chloroxylenol/Pramoxine/Zinc Drops.
- Using Chloroxylenol/Pramoxine/Zinc Drops at the same times each day will help you remember to use it.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Chloroxylenol/Pramoxine/Zinc Drops for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of Chloroxylenol/Pramoxine/Zinc Drops, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Chloroxylenol/Pramoxine/Zinc Drops.
Important safety information:
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use for longer than 10 days without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 10 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Do not use Chloroxylenol/Pramoxine/Zinc Drops for other ear problems without first checking with your doctor.
- Talk with your doctor before using any other medicines in your ear.
- Be sure to use Chloroxylenol/Pramoxine/Zinc Drops for the full course of therapy. If you do not, Chloroxylenol/Pramoxine/Zinc Drops may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of Chloroxylenol/Pramoxine/Zinc Drops may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Chloroxylenol/Pramoxine/Zinc Drops may cause harm if it is swallowed. If you may have taken it by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- Chloroxylenol/Pramoxine/Zinc Drops should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 2 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Chloroxylenol/Pramoxine/Zinc Drops while you are pregnant. It is not known if Chloroxylenol/Pramoxine/Zinc Drops are found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Chloroxylenol/Pramoxine/Zinc Drops, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Chloroxylenol/Pramoxine/Zinc Drops:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Mild burning, irritation, redness, stinging, or dryness at the affected area.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); pain or swelling at the affected area; severe or persistent burning, irritation, redness, or stinging.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Chloroxylenol/Pramoxine/Zinc Drops:
Store Chloroxylenol/Pramoxine/Zinc Drops at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in the original container. Do not freeze. Store away from heat and light. Keep Chloroxylenol/Pramoxine/Zinc Drops out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Chloroxylenol/Pramoxine/Zinc Drops, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Chloroxylenol/Pramoxine/Zinc Drops are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Chloroxylenol/Pramoxine/Zinc Drops. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.