Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine LiquidGeneric Name:
Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine (klor-fen-EER-a-meen/hye-droe-KOE-done/sue-do-eh-FED-rin)Brand Name:
Examples include Histinex PV and Pediatex HC
Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid is used for:
Relieving symptoms of sinus congestion, runny nose, sneezing, and cough due to colds, upper respiratory infections, and allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid is a decongestant, antihistamine, and cough suppressant combination. The decongestant works by constricting blood vessels and reducing swelling in the nasal passages. The antihistamine works by blocking the action of histamine, which helps reduce symptoms, such as watery eyes and sneezing. The cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex, which reduces a dry cough.
Do NOT use Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid or any other codeine- or morphine-related medicine (eg, codeine)
- you have severe high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel disease, rapid heartbeat, or severe heart problems
- you are unable to urinate or are having an asthma attack
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB) or if you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat, heart blood vessel problems, or other heart problems
- if you have a history of adrenal gland problems (eg, adrenal gland tumor); high blood pressure; diabetes; stroke; glaucoma; a blockage of your bladder, stomach, or intestines; ulcers; trouble urinating; an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems; or an overactive thyroid
- if you have a history of asthma, chronic cough, lung problems (eg, chronic bronchitis, emphysema), or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or if your cough occurs with large amounts of mucus
- if you have or recently have had any head or brain injury, brain tumor, increased pressure in the brain, infection of the brain or nervous system, epilepsy, or seizures
- if you have a history of stomach problems (eg, ulcers), bowel problems (eg, chronic inflammation or ulceration of the bowel), or gallbladder problems (eg, gallstones), or if you have had recent abdominal surgery
- if you have a history of alcohol or substance abuse or suicidal thoughts or behavior
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), catechol-O-methyltransferase (COMT) inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), furazolidone, indomethacin, MAOIs (eg, phenelzine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because they may increase the risk of Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid's side effects
- Cimetidine, digoxin, droxidopa, or sodium oxybate (GHB) because the risk of severe drowsiness, breathing problems, seizures, irregular heartbeat, or heart attack may be increased
- Naltrexone because it may decrease Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid's effectiveness
- Bromocriptine or hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, mecamylamine, methyldopa, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid:
Use Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid by mouth with or without food.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid.
Important safety information:
- Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you take Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid without checking with your doctor.
- Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid has pseudoephedrine in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has pseudoephedrine in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 5 to 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid may interfere with skin allergy tests. If you are scheduled for a skin test, talk to your doctor. You may need to stop taking Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid for a few days before the tests.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid while you are pregnant. It is not known if Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid.
When used for long periods of time or at high doses, Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid may not work as well and may require higher doses to obtain the same effect as when originally taken. This is known as TOLERANCE. Talk with your doctor if Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid stops working well. Do not take more than prescribed.
When used for longer than a few weeks or at high doses, some people develop a need to continue taking Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid. This is known as DEPENDENCE or addiction.
If you suddenly stop taking Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid, you may experience WITHDRAWAL symptoms including anxiety; diarrhea; fever, runny nose, or sneezing; goose bumps and abnormal skin sensations; nausea; vomiting; pain; rigid muscles; rapid heartbeat; seeing, hearing or feeling things that are not there; shivering or tremors; sweating; trouble sleeping.
Possible side effects of Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; excitability; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); difficulty urinating or inability to urinate; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; tremor; trouble sleeping; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid:
Store Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Chlorpheniramine/Hydrocodone/Pseudoephedrine Liquid. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Atuss HD Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)