Ciclopirox CreamGeneric Name:
Ciclopirox (sye-kloe-PEER-ox)Brand Name:
Ciclopirox Cream is used for:
Treating fungal and yeast infections of the skin, including athlete's foot, jock itch, and ringworm.
Ciclopirox Cream is an antifungal. It works by slowing the growth of the fungus.
Do NOT use Ciclopirox Cream if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Ciclopirox Cream
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Ciclopirox Cream:
Some medical conditions may interact with Ciclopirox Cream. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Ciclopirox Cream. However, no specific interactions with Ciclopirox Cream are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Ciclopirox Cream may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Ciclopirox Cream:
Use Ciclopirox Cream as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Clean the affected area with soap and water and dry thoroughly. Apply enough medicine to cover the affected area. Rub in gently. Do not cover unless directed by your doctor. Wash your hands immediately after using the medicine, unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Ciclopirox Cream for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if your symptoms improve.
- If you miss a dose of Ciclopirox Cream, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ciclopirox Cream.
Important safety information:
- Ciclopirox Cream is for external use only. Do not get Ciclopirox Cream in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get it in your eyes, rinse right away with cool tap water.
- Do not wrap or otherwise cover the treated area with bandages or wear tight-fitting clothing unless specifically directed by your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 4 weeks or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Be sure to use Ciclopirox Cream for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The fungus could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Ciclopirox Cream should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 10 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY AND BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Ciclopirox Cream while you are pregnant. It is not known if Ciclopirox Cream is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Ciclopirox Cream, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Ciclopirox Cream:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Burning; itching at the application site.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blistering; oozing; swelling.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Ciclopirox Cream may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Ciclopirox Cream:
Store Ciclopirox Cream at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Ciclopirox Cream out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Ciclopirox Cream, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ciclopirox Cream is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Ciclopirox Cream. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.