Ciclopirox GelGeneric Name:
Ciclopirox (sye-kloe-PEER-ox)Brand Name:
Ciclopirox Gel is used for:
Treating athlete's foot, seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp, jock itch, ringworm, and other fungal infections. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Ciclopirox Gel is an antifungal. It works by slowing the growth of the fungus.
Do NOT use Ciclopirox Gel if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Ciclopirox Gel
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Ciclopirox Gel:
Some medical conditions may interact with Ciclopirox Gel. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Ciclopirox Gel. However, no specific interactions with Ciclopirox Gel are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Ciclopirox Gel may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Ciclopirox Gel:
Use Ciclopirox Gel as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Clean the affected area with soap and water and dry thoroughly. Apply enough medicine to cover the affected area. Rub in gently. Do not cover unless directed by your doctor. Wash your hands immediately after using the medicine, unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Ciclopirox Gel for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if your symptoms improve.
- If you miss a dose of Ciclopirox Gel, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ciclopirox Gel.
Important safety information:
- Ciclopirox Gel is for external use only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth. If you get it in your eyes, rinse right away with cool tap water.
- Do not wrap or otherwise cover the treated area with bandages or wear tight-fitting clothing unless specifically directed by your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 4 weeks or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Be sure to use Ciclopirox Gel for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The fungus could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Ciclopirox Gel should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 16 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY AND BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Ciclopirox Gel while you are pregnant. It is not known if Ciclopirox Gel is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Ciclopirox Gel, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Ciclopirox Gel:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Burning sensation at the application site; itching; skin inflammation.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blistering; oozing; swelling.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Ciclopirox Gel may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Ciclopirox Gel:
Store Ciclopirox Gel at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Ciclopirox Gel out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Ciclopirox Gel, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ciclopirox Gel is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Ciclopirox Gel. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.