Ciclopirox ShampooGeneric Name:
Ciclopirox (sye-kloe-PEER-ox)Brand Name:
Ciclopirox Shampoo is used for:
Treating adults with greasy, flaking, scaling, redness, itching, and burning of the scalp.
Ciclopirox Shampoo is an antifungal. It is unknown how it works for this condition.
Do NOT use Ciclopirox Shampoo if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Ciclopirox Shampoo
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Ciclopirox Shampoo:
Some medical conditions may interact with Ciclopirox Shampoo. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Ciclopirox Shampoo. However, no specific interactions with Ciclopirox Shampoo are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Ciclopirox Shampoo may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Ciclopirox Shampoo:
Use Ciclopirox Shampoo as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Wet hair and apply the amount of medicine as directed by your health care provider. Lather and leave on for 3 minutes. A timer may be used. Rinse off. Repeat twice a week for 4 weeks with a minimum of 3 days between applications, or as directed by your health care provider.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Ciclopirox Shampoo for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if your symptoms have improved.
- If you miss a dose of Ciclopirox Shampoo, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ciclopirox Shampoo.
Important safety information:
- Ciclopirox Shampoo is for external use on the scalp only. Do not get Ciclopirox Shampoo in your eyes, nose, or mouth. Do not swallow Ciclopirox Shampoo. If you get it in your eyes, rinse right away with cool tap water.
- Be sure to use Ciclopirox Shampoo for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The fungus could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 4 weeks or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Ciclopirox Shampoo should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 10 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY AND BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Ciclopirox Shampoo while you are pregnant. It is not known if Ciclopirox Shampoo is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Ciclopirox Shampoo, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Ciclopirox Shampoo:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Itching; headache; rash; skin disorder.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); fast heartbeat.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Ciclopirox Shampoo may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Ciclopirox Shampoo:
Store Ciclopirox Shampoo at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat and light. Keep Ciclopirox Shampoo out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Ciclopirox Shampoo, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ciclopirox Shampoo is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Ciclopirox Shampoo. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.