Ciclopirox Solution KitGeneric Name:
Ciclopirox (SYE-kloe-PIR-ox)Brand Name:
Ciclopirox Solution Kit is used for:
Treating mild to moderate toenail or fingernail fungus.
Ciclopirox Solution Kit is a kit containing an antifungal agent, emery board, and solution removing swabs. Exactly how the antifungal agent works is not known. It is believed to work by slowing the growth of fungi.
Do NOT use Ciclopirox Solution Kit if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Ciclopirox Solution Kit
- you are taking an oral antifungal medicine for a fungal infection of the fingernail or toenail
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Ciclopirox Solution Kit:
Some medical conditions may interact with Ciclopirox Solution Kit. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have diabetes, numbness of the toes or fingers, or a weakened immune system (eg, HIV infection, AIDS)
- if you have received an organ transplant
- if you regularly use a topical corticosteroid (eg, hydrocortisone) or steroid inhaler (eg, fluticasone), or if you take medicine for seizures
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Ciclopirox Solution Kit. However, no specific interactions with Ciclopirox Solution Kit are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Ciclopirox Solution Kit may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Ciclopirox Solution Kit:
Use Ciclopirox Solution Kit as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Ciclopirox Solution Kit. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Apply Ciclopirox Solution Kit once daily, preferably at bedtime.
- Apply evenly over the entire nail and the small amount of the surrounding skin. If possible, apply this medication to the nail bed and under the surface of the nail plate. Allow the medicine to dry (about 30 seconds) before you put on socks or stockings.
- Do not bathe or shower for at least 8 hours after you apply the medicine.
- Apply a new coat of the medicine over the previous one. Do NOT remove the medicine from the affected area each day.
- Once a week (every 7 days), remove the medicine with the solution remover swabs provided. Use the emery board to file away any loose nail material, as directed by your doctor.
- Your doctor will need to periodically remove the unattached, infected portion of the nail while you use Ciclopirox Solution Kit. Be sure to keep all doctor appointments. Check with your doctor if you have questions.
- It may take up to 6 months of treatment with Ciclopirox Solution Kit to see any noticeable improvement in your nail. It may take up to 48 weeks of treatment to achieve a clear or almost clear nail. However, it may not be possible to achieve a completely clear nail with the use of Ciclopirox Solution Kit.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Ciclopirox Solution Kit for the full course of treatment.
- If you miss a dose of Ciclopirox Solution Kit and you are using it daily at bedtime, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ciclopirox Solution Kit.
Important safety information:
- Ciclopirox Solution Kit is for external use on nails and surrounding skin only. Do not get Ciclopirox Solution Kit in your eyes, nose, vagina, or mouth. If you get it in your eyes, rinse right away with cool tap water.
- Ciclopirox Solution Kit is flammable. Do not use this medication near heat or open flame.
- If you have diabetes or problems with numbness in your fingers or toes, talk with your doctor before you trim your nails.
- Do not use nail polish or other nail cosmetic products while using Ciclopirox Solution Kit.
- Do not use Ciclopirox Solution Kit to treat a condition other than it was prescribed for.
- Ciclopirox Solution Kit should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY AND BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Ciclopirox Solution Kit while you are pregnant. It is not known if Ciclopirox Solution Kit is found in breast. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Ciclopirox Solution Kit, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Ciclopirox Solution Kit:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Change in shape of nail; discoloration; ingrown toenail; mild redness or irritation of the treated area.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blistering, burning, oozing, or swelling of the treated area; severe redness or irritation of the treated area.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Ciclopirox Solution Kit may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Ciclopirox Solution Kit:
Store Ciclopirox Solution Kit at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in the original carton. Protect from light. Keep away from heat and flame. Keep Ciclopirox Solution Kit out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Ciclopirox Solution Kit, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ciclopirox Solution Kit is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Ciclopirox Solution Kit. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.