Adagen Generic Name: Pegademase Bovine
(peg-AD-e-mase BOE-vine)Brand Name:
Adagen is used for:
Treating severe combined immunodeficiency disease (SCID) in certain patients with adenosine deaminase (ADA) deficiency.
Adagen is a modified enzyme. It works by correcting the levels of ADA in the body, which improves immune system function.
Do NOT use Adagen if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Adagen
- you have a severely low blood platelet level
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Adagen :
Some medical conditions may interact with Adagen . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have bleeding, other blood conditions (eg, low blood platelets), or purpura
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Adagen . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- 2'-deoxycoformycin because it may decrease Adagen 's effectiveness
- Vidarabine because its effectiveness may be decreased by Adagen
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Adagen may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Adagen :
Use Adagen as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Adagen is usually given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you will be using Adagen at home, a health care provider will teach you how to use it. Be sure you understand how to use Adagen . Follow the procedures you are taught when you use a dose. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- Do not use Adagen if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- Continue to use Adagen even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- If you miss a dose of Adagen , use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Adagen .
Important safety information:
- Lab tests, including plasma ADA activity and blood cell counts, may be performed while you use Adagen . These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Adagen while you are pregnant. It is not known if Adagen is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Adagen , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Adagen :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Headache; pain or redness at the injection site.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); dark urine; severe or persistent tiredness or weakness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org ), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Adagen :
Adagen is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using Adagen at home, store Adagen as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep Adagen out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Adagen , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Adagen is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Adagen . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Adagen Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Adagen Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Adagen Prescribing Information (FDA)