CitraNatal Assure Generic Name: Prenatal Multivitamin without Vitamin A with Minerals, Iron, Folic Acid, and Docusate Sodium
(pree-NATE-al MUL-tye-VYE-ta-mins/VYE-ta-min A/MIN-er-als/EYE-urn/FOE-lik AS-id/DOK-ue-sate SOE-dee-um)Brand Name:
Examples include CitraNatal Assure and CitraNatal 90 DHA
Accidental overdose of products that contain iron is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years old. Keep this and all medicines out of the reach of children. In case of accidental ingestion, call your local poison control center or your doctor at once.
CitraNatal Assure is used for:
Treating or preventing a lack of vitamins or minerals before, during, and after pregnancy and while breast-feeding. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
CitraNatal Assure is a vitamin, mineral, iron, folic acid, docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), and stool softener combination. It works by providing vitamins and minerals to the body to help meet nutritional requirements. The stool softener helps prevent constipation that may occur with iron products.
Do NOT use CitraNatal Assure if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in CitraNatal Assure , including fish or fish oil
- you have hemochromatosis (a disorder of iron metabolism)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using CitraNatal Assure :
Some medical conditions may interact with CitraNatal Assure . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have stomach or intestinal problems (eg, colitis, Crohn disease, diverticulitis), pernicious anemia or other blood problems (eg, anemia, porphyria), bleeding problems (eg, hemophilia), or peptic ulcer
- if you have had multiple blood transfusions
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with CitraNatal Assure . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Oral anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of bleeding may be increased by CitraNatal Assure
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors (eg, captopril), eplerenone, or potassium-sparing diuretics because high blood potassium levels may be increased
- Aluminum salts, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), or fluorouracil because the risk of their side effects may be increased by CitraNatal Assure
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if CitraNatal Assure may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use CitraNatal Assure :
Use CitraNatal Assure as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take CitraNatal Assure by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Take CitraNatal Assure by mouth with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
- Do not take an antacid within 1 hour before or 2 hours after you take CitraNatal Assure .
- Avoid taking CitraNatal Assure with dairy products; they may interfere with the absorption of the iron in CitraNatal Assure .
- Many medicines (eg, used for infection, blood pressure, osteoporosis, thyroid problems) should not be taken at the same time as CitraNatal Assure ; their effectiveness may be decreased. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if your dose of CitraNatal Assure should be separated from your dose of any of your other medicines.
- If you miss a dose of CitraNatal Assure , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use CitraNatal Assure .
Important safety information:
- CitraNatal Assure may discolor the stools. This is normal and not a cause for concern.
- CitraNatal Assure has iron in it. Iron overdose is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years old. In case of an overdose, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Some brands of CitraNatal Assure may contain fish oil. If you have had an allergic reaction to fish or fish oil, ask your pharmacist if your brand contains fish oil.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: CitraNatal Assure is intended for use during pregnancy and breast-feeding. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use CitraNatal Assure , check with your doctor.
Possible side effects of CitraNatal Assure :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; dark or discolored stools; diarrhea; nausea; stomach upset; vomiting.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; blood or streaks of blood in the stools; stomach pain or cramping.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include black, tarry stools; chest pain; lack of feeling alert; loss of balance; seizure; severe nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or stomach pain; shortness of breath; sluggishness; trouble breathing; unusual tiredness or weakness; unusually pale skin; weak pulse.Proper storage of CitraNatal Assure :
Store CitraNatal Assure at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep CitraNatal Assure out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about CitraNatal Assure , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- CitraNatal Assure is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about CitraNatal Assure . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- CitraNatal Assure Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Advanced Natalcare Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Prenate Elite tablets
- PrimaCare ONE capsules