Citrate of Magnesia SolutionGeneric Name: Magnesium Citrate
(mag-NEE-zee-um SEYE-trate)Brand Name:
Examples include Citrate of Magnesia and LiquiPrep
Citrate of Magnesia Solution is used for:
Clearing the bowels before tests or for treating constipation.
Citrate of Magnesia Solution is a laxative. It works by attracting and retaining water in the intestine, which allows the bowel to evacuate.
Do NOT use Citrate of Magnesia Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Citrate of Magnesia Solution
- you are taking aluminum salt (eg, aluminum hydroxide) or quinolones (eg, ciprofloxacin)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Citrate of Magnesia Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Citrate of Magnesia Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of bowel obstruction or kidney conditions, appendicitis, heart failure, or rectal bleeding
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Citrate of Magnesia Solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Aluminum salts (eg, aluminum hydroxide) or anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Citrate of Magnesia Solution
- Bisphosphonates (eg, risedronate), digoxin, penicillamine, quinolone antibiotics (eg, ciprofloxacin), or tetracyclines (eg, doxycycline) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Citrate of Magnesia Solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Citrate of Magnesia Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Citrate of Magnesia Solution:
Use Citrate of Magnesia Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Citrate of Magnesia Solution on an empty stomach. Take Citrate of Magnesia Solution with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
- If you also take a bisphosphonate (eg, alendronic acid), digoxin, or a tetracycline (eg, doxycycline), do not take them within 2 to 4 hours of taking Citrate of Magnesia Solution. Check with your doctor if you have questions.
- If you miss a dose of Citrate of Magnesia Solution, take it as soon as you remember. Continue to take it as directed by your doctor or on the package label.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Citrate of Magnesia Solution.
Important safety information:
- Do not use Citrate of Magnesia Solution if you experience abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, or rectal bleeding except under the direction of your doctor.
- If you notice a sudden change in bowel habits that lasts for 2 weeks or more, check with your doctor and do not use any more of Citrate of Magnesia Solution.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than 1 week without checking with your doctor.
- Citrate of Magnesia Solution should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 2 years old; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Citrate of Magnesia Solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if Citrate of Magnesia Solution is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Citrate of Magnesia Solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Citrate of Magnesia Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Diarrhea; stomach discomfort.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blood in the stool; cramps; dizziness; fainting; irregular heartbeat; severe diarrhea; sweating; weakness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Citrate of Magnesia Solution:
Store Citrate of Magnesia Solution at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Citrate of Magnesia Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Citrate of Magnesia Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Citrate of Magnesia Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Citrate of Magnesia Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Citrate of Magnesia Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Magnesium Citrate Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- Citrate Of Magnesia Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information