Clarifoam EF FoamGeneric Name: Sodium Sulfacetamide/Sulfur
(SO-dee-um SUL-fa-SEET-a-mide/SUL-fur)Brand Name:
Clarifoam EF Foam is used for:
Treating acne, rosacea, and seborrhea. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Clarifoam EF Foam is an antibacterial and keratolytic combination. The antibacterial works by killing sensitive bacteria. The keratolytic helps to loosen and shed hard, scaly skin.
Do NOT use Clarifoam EF Foam if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Clarifoam EF Foam or to sulfonamides (eg, sulfamethoxazole)
- you have kidney problems
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Clarifoam EF Foam:
Some medical conditions may interact with Clarifoam EF Foam. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have eczema
- if the skin at the application site is scraped, cut, or damaged
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Clarifoam EF Foam. Because little, if any, of Clarifoam EF Foam is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Clarifoam EF Foam may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Clarifoam EF Foam:
Use Clarifoam EF Foam as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Before the first use of a new container, you will need to prime the container. Hold the can upright and point it away from yourself and others. Press the spray button down for 3 to 5 seconds or until foam begins to appear.
- Wash the affected skin and gently pat dry with a clean towel before each use of Clarifoam EF Foam.
- Shake well before each use.
- Hold the container upright. Dispense a small amount of the medicine onto your fingertips. Gently massage the foam into the affected area.
- If your doctor has told you to leave Clarifoam EF Foam on, be sure to wipe off any excess medicine after you apply it.
- If your doctor has told you to wash Clarifoam EF Foam off, wait 10 minutes after you apply it, then rinse with water and pat dry.
- Wash your hands immediately after using Clarifoam EF Foam, unless your hands are part of the affected area.
- Use Clarifoam EF Foam on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it.
- Continue to use Clarifoam EF Foam even if your condition improves. Do not miss any doses
- If you miss a dose of Clarifoam EF Foam, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Clarifoam EF Foam.
Important safety information:
- Clarifoam EF Foam is for external use only. Do not get it in your eyes or on the inside of your nose or mouth. If you get Clarifoam EF Foam in any of these areas, rinse them immediately with cool water.
- Talk with your doctor before you use any other medicines or cleansers on your skin.
- Do not apply Clarifoam EF Foam over large areas of the body or to open wounds or scraped, infected, or burned skin without first checking with your doctor.
- Do not use Clarifoam EF Foam for other skin conditions at a later time.
- Clarifoam EF Foam may be harmful if swallowed. If you may have taken it by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- Clarifoam EF Foam should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Clarifoam EF Foam can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Clarifoam EF Foam while you are pregnant. It is not known if Clarifoam EF Foam is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Clarifoam EF Foam, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Clarifoam EF Foam:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Mild redness or peeling of the skin.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); fever, chills, or sore throat; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; severe or persistent skin irritation; unusual tiredness or weakness; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center ( http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Clarifoam EF Foam may be harmful if swallowed. Symptoms of ingestion may include change in the amount of urine; nausea; vomiting.Proper storage of Clarifoam EF Foam:
Store Clarifoam EF Foam at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Do not freeze. Avoid temperatures above 120 degrees F (49 degrees C). Store away from heat and direct sunlight. Do not puncture, break, or burn the canister even if it appears to be empty. Keep Clarifoam EF Foam out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Clarifoam EF Foam, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Clarifoam EF Foam is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Clarifoam EF Foam. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Novacet Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)