Cleviprex Generic Name: Clevidipine
Cleviprex is used for:
Treating high blood pressure. It may be used alone or with other medicines. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Cleviprex is a calcium channel blocker. It works by relaxing (dilating) your blood vessels and lowering blood pressure. It also dilates coronary arteries increasing blood flow to the heart.
Do NOT use Cleviprex if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Cleviprex
- you are allergic to soy or egg products
- you have lipid (fat) metabolism problems
- you have severe aortic stenosis (narrowing of the main artery of the heart)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Cleviprex :
Some medical conditions may interact with Cleviprex . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods (especially egg or soy products), or other substances
- if you have heart failure, very low blood pressure, liver problems, or pancreas problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Cleviprex . However, no specific interactions with Cleviprex are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Cleviprex may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Cleviprex :
Use Cleviprex as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Cleviprex is usually given as an infusion at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic.
- Do not use Cleviprex if it contains particles, is discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- If you miss a dose of Cleviprex , contact your doctor right away.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Cleviprex .
Important safety information:
- Cleviprex may cause drowsiness or dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Cleviprex with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Cleviprex may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Patients who take medicine for high blood pressure often feel tired or run down for a few weeks after starting treatment. Be sure to take your medicine even if you may not feel "normal." Tell your doctor if you develop any new symptoms.
- Lab tests, including blood pressure checks, may be performed while you use Cleviprex . These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Cleviprex with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Cleviprex should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 18 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Cleviprex while you are pregnant. It is not known if Cleviprex is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Cleviprex , check with your doctor.
Possible side effects of Cleviprex :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dizziness; drowsiness; headache; nausea; vomiting.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; pounding in the chest; shortness of breath; sudden severe dizziness; swelling of feet or legs; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include dizziness; fainting or lightheadedness, especially upon standing; very fast heart rate.Proper storage of Cleviprex :
Cleviprex is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using Cleviprex at home, store Cleviprex as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Cleviprex out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Cleviprex , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Cleviprex is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Cleviprex . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Cleviprex Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Cleviprex Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Cleviprex Consumer Overview