Clindamax GelGeneric Name: Clindamycin
Examples include Cleocin T and Clindamax
Clindamax Gel is used for:
Treating severe acne. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Clindamax Gel is a topical lincomycin antibiotic. It works by killing sensitive bacteria that cause acne and reducing the amount of free fatty acids that irritate the skin surface.
Do NOT use Clindamax Gel if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Clindamax Gel or to lincomycin
- you have Crohn disease, antibiotic-associated colitis, or ulcerative colitis
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Clindamax Gel:
Some medical conditions may interact with Clindamax Gel. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a gastrointestinal (bowel) disease or diarrhea
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Clindamax Gel. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Nondepolarizing muscle relaxants (eg, vecuronium) or succinylcholine because their actions and the risk of their side effects may be increased by Clindamax Gel
- Erythromycin because it may decrease Clindamax Gel's effectiveness
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Clindamax Gel may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Clindamax Gel:
Use Clindamax Gel as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Clindamax Gel is for topical use on the skin only.
- Clean and dry the affected area. Cover the affected and surrounding area with a thin film of medicine.
- Clindamax Gel works best if it is used at the same time each day.
- Continue to use Clindamax Gel even if your condition improves. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Clindamax Gel, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Clindamax Gel.
Important safety information:
- Clindamax Gel may cause harm if it is swallowed. If you may have taken it by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- Several weeks may pass before you see improvement in your acne. Continue using Clindamax Gel for the full time recommended by your doctor.
- Be sure to use Clindamax Gel for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Do not get Clindamax Gel in your eyes or on the inside of your nose or mouth. If you accidentally get the medicine in your eye, immediately flush with a large amount of cool tap water.
- If severe diarrhea, stomach pain or cramping, or bloody stools develop during treatment or within several months after treatment with Clindamax Gel, check with your doctor or pharmacist right away. Do not treat it without first checking with your doctor.
- Talk with your doctor before you use any other medicines or cleansers on your skin.
- Clindamax Gel should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Clindamax Gel while you are pregnant. It is not known if Clindamax Gel is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Clindamax Gel.
Possible side effects of Clindamax Gel:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dryness; itching; oiliness or oily skin.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blood or mucus in stools; bloody or severe diarrhea; stomach cramps or pain; swelling, redness, burning, or peeling of your skin.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Clindamax Gel may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Clindamax Gel:
Store Clindamax Gel at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Protect from freezing. Keep Clindamax Gel out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Clindamax Gel, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Clindamax Gel is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Clindamax Gel. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Clindamax Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Clindamycin Topical Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Cleocin T Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Cleocin Vaginal Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Clinda-Derm Prescribing Information (FDA)
- ClindaMax Topical Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Clindesse Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Clindesse Consumer Overview
- Evoclin Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Evoclin Consumer Overview