ClindaMax LotionGeneric Name: Clindamycin
Examples include Cleocin T and ClindaMax
ClindaMax Lotion is used for:
Treating severe acne. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
ClindaMax Lotion is a topical lincomycin antibiotic. It works by killing sensitive bacteria that cause acne and reducing the amount of free fatty acids that irritate the skin surface.
Do NOT use ClindaMax Lotion if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in ClindaMax Lotion or to lincomycin
- you have Crohn disease, antibiotic-associated colitis, or ulcerative colitis
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using ClindaMax Lotion:
Some medical conditions may interact with ClindaMax Lotion. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have gastrointestinal (bowel) disease or diarrhea
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with ClindaMax Lotion. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Nondepolarizing muscle relaxants (eg, vecuronium) or succinylcholine because their actions and the risk of their side effects may be increased by ClindaMax Lotion
- Erythromycin because it may decrease ClindaMax Lotion's effectiveness
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if ClindaMax Lotion may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use ClindaMax Lotion:
Use ClindaMax Lotion as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- ClindaMax Lotion is for topical use on the skin only.
- Shake well before each use. Clean and dry the affected area. Cover the affected area and surrounding areas with a thin film of medicine.
- ClindaMax Lotion works best if it is used at the same time each day.
- Continue to use ClindaMax Lotion even if your condition improves. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of ClindaMax Lotion, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use ClindaMax Lotion.
Important safety information:
- ClindaMax Lotion may cause harm if it is swallowed. If you may have taken it by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- ClindaMax Lotion is for external use only. Do not get ClindaMax Lotion in your eyes or on the inside of your nose or mouth. If you accidentally get the medicine in your eye, immediately flush with a large amount of cool tap water.
- ClindaMax Lotion has an unpleasant taste. Use caution when applying ClindaMax Lotion around the mouth.
- Be sure to use ClindaMax Lotion for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Several weeks may pass before you see improvement in your acne. Continue using ClindaMax Lotion for the full time recommended by your doctor.
- Talk with your doctor before you use any other medicines or cleansers on your skin.
- If severe diarrhea, stomach pain or cramping, or bloody stools develop during treatment or within several months after treatment with ClindaMax Lotion, check with your doctor or pharmacist right away. Do not treat it without first checking with your doctor.
- ClindaMax Lotion should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using ClindaMax Lotion while you are pregnant. It is not known if ClindaMax Lotion is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking ClindaMax Lotion.
Possible side effects of ClindaMax Lotion:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dryness; itching; oiliness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blood or mucus in stools; diarrhea; stomach cramps or pain; swelling, redness, burning, or peeling of your skin.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org ), or emergency room immediately. ClindaMax Lotion may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of ClindaMax Lotion:
Store ClindaMax Lotion at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Protect from freezing. Keep ClindaMax Lotion out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about ClindaMax Lotion, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- ClindaMax Lotion is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about ClindaMax Lotion. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- ClindaMax Topical Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Clindamycin Topical Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Cleocin T Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Cleocin Vaginal Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Clinda-Derm Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Clindamax Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Clindesse Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Clindesse Consumer Overview
- Evoclin Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Evoclin Consumer Overview