ClindaMax CreamGeneric Name: Clindamycin
Examples include Cleocin and ClindaMax
ClindaMax Cream is used for:
Treating vaginal infections caused by certain bacteria.
ClindaMax Cream is a topical lincomycin antibiotic. It works by slowing the growth of certain bacteria.
Do NOT use ClindaMax Cream if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in ClindaMax Cream or to lincomycin
- you have Crohn disease, antibiotic-associated colitis, or ulcerative colitis
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using ClindaMax Cream:
Some medical conditions may interact with ClindaMax Cream. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a gastrointestinal (bowel) disease or diarrhea
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with ClindaMax Cream. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Nondepolarizing muscle relaxants (eg, vecuronium) or succinylcholine because their actions and the risk of their side effects may be increased by ClindaMax Cream
- Erythromycin because it may decrease ClindaMax Cream's effectiveness
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if ClindaMax Cream may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use ClindaMax Cream:
Use ClindaMax Cream as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- ClindaMax Cream is for vaginal use only.
- Wash your hands before and after using ClindaMax Cream. To use, remove the cap from the tube. Screw the plastic applicator on the threaded end of the tube. Rolling the tube from the bottom, squeeze gently and force the medicine into the applicator. The applicator is filled when the plunger reaches its predetermined stopping point.
- Unscrew the applicator from the tube and replace the cap. While lying on your back, firmly grasp the applicator barrel and insert into the vagina as far as it will possibly go without causing discomfort. Slowly push the plunger until it stops. Carefully remove the applicator from the vagina and throw the applicator away.
- Use ClindaMax Cream at bedtime. This will help keep the medicine in the vagina and reduce leaking.
- ClindaMax Cream works best if it is used at the same time each day.
- To clear up your infection completely, use ClindaMax Cream for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of ClindaMax Cream and you are using it regularly, use it as soon as possible. If several hours have passed or if it is nearing time for the next dose, do not double the dose to catch up, unless advised by your health care provider. Do not use 2 doses at once. If more than one dose is missed, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use ClindaMax Cream.
Important safety information:
- Avoid contact with the eyes. Burning and irritation can occur. If contact does occur, rinse the eye with large amounts of cool tap water.
- Do not have sexual intercourse or use other vaginal products, such as tampons or douches, while using ClindaMax Cream.
- Use a sanitary napkin rather than a tampon to prevent staining of clothes and bed linens.
- This cream contains mineral oil that may weaken latex products such as condoms and diaphragms. Therefore, do not use these products within 72 hours of using ClindaMax Cream.They may not provide adequate birth control and you may become pregnant.
- Be sure to use ClindaMax Cream for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of ClindaMax Cream may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- If severe diarrhea, stomach pain or cramping, or bloody stools develop during treatment or within several months after treatment with ClindaMax Cream, check with your doctor or pharmacist right away. Do not treat it without first checking with your doctor.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using ClindaMax Cream while you are pregnant. It is not known if ClindaMax Cream is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use ClindaMax Cream, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of ClindaMax Cream:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Fungal infection; genital itching or burning; inflammation or pain; vaginal discharge.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blood/mucus in stools; diarrhea; new or worsening vaginal or vulvar itching; painful sex; stomach cramps/pain; white vaginal discharge.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. ClindaMax Cream may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of ClindaMax Cream:
Store ClindaMax Cream at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Protect from freezing. Keep ClindaMax Cream out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about ClindaMax Cream, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- ClindaMax Cream is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about ClindaMax Cream. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- ClindaMax Topical Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Clindamycin Topical Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Cleocin T Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Cleocin Vaginal Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Clinda-Derm Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Clindamax Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Clindesse Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Clindesse Consumer Overview
- Evoclin Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Evoclin Consumer Overview