Clotrimazole SolutionGeneric Name:
Clotrimazole (kloe-TRIM-a-zole)Brand Name:
Clotrimazole Solution is used for:
Treating athlete's foot, jock itch, and ringworm. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Clotrimazole Solution is an antifungal agent. It kills sensitive fungi by binding to and weakening the fungal cell membrane.
Do NOT use Clotrimazole Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Clotrimazole Solution
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Clotrimazole Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Clotrimazole Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Clotrimazole Solution. Because little, if any, of Clotrimazole Solution is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Clotrimazole Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Clotrimazole Solution:
Use Clotrimazole Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Clotrimazole Solution is for topical use on the skin only.
- Clean the affected area with soap and water and dry thoroughly.
- Apply a thin layer of medicine to the affected area. Rub it in gently. Do not cover unless directed to by your doctor.
- Wash your hands immediately after using Clotrimazole Solution, unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Clotrimazole Solution for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of Clotrimazole Solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Clotrimazole Solution.
Important safety information:
- Clotrimazole Solution is for external use only. If you get Clotrimazole Solution in your eyes, immediately flush them with cool tap water.
- Be sure to use Clotrimazole Solution for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The fungus could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Clotrimazole Solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if Clotrimazole Solution is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Clotrimazole Solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Clotrimazole Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Mild stinging.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); reddening, blistering, peeling, itching, or burning of the skin.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Clotrimazole Solution may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Clotrimazole Solution:
Store Clotrimazole Solution at room temperature, 59 to 86 degrees F (15 to 30 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Clotrimazole Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Clotrimazole Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Clotrimazole Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Clotrimazole Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Clotrimazole Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Clotrimazole Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- Clotrimazole Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- clotrimazole Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- clotrimazole Mucous membrane, oral Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information