Cobal 1000 Generic Name: Cyanocobalamin
(B12) (sigh-an-oh-koe-BAL-uh-min)Brand Name:
Cobal 1000 is used for:
Maintaining normal vitamin B12 blood levels in certain patients with pernicious anemia. It is also used to treat or prevent low blood levels of vitamin B12 that may be caused by other conditions.
Cobal 1000 is a form of vitamin B12. It works by replacing vitamin B12 in the body.
Do NOT use Cobal 1000 if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Cobal 1000 , including cobalt
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Cobal 1000 :
Some medical conditions may interact with Cobal 1000 . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have an infection, Leber disease (weakened eye nerve), a buildup of waste in the blood (uremia), any kind of anemia, or low blood levels of iron or folic acid
- if you are a vegetarian
- if you drink alcohol on a regular basis
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Cobal 1000 . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Chloramphenicol or other medicine that may decrease your bone marrow because effectiveness of Cobal 1000 may be decreased; ask your doctor if you are unsure if any of your medicines may decrease your bone marrow
- Colchicine or para-aminosalicylic acid because the effectiveness of Cobal 1000 may be decreased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Cobal 1000 may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Cobal 1000 :
Use Cobal 1000 as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Cobal 1000 is usually administered as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you are using Cobal 1000 at home, carefully follow the injection procedures taught to you by your health care provider.
- If Cobal 1000 contains particles or is discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged in any way, do not use it.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and away from pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Dispose of properly after use. Ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain local regulations for proper disposal.
- If you miss a dose of Cobal 1000 , use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Cobal 1000 .
Important safety information:
- Heavy alcohol intake for more than 2 weeks may decrease the effectiveness of Cobal 1000 . Check with your doctor if you drink alcohol on a regular basis.
- Do not substitute folic acid for Cobal 1000 without first checking with your doctor. Folic acid may prevent anemia but may not prevent other serious symptoms such as spinal cord problems.
- You should have blood tests every 3 to 6 months to monitor your progress.
- Certain medicines, including antibiotics, methotrexate, or pyrimethamine, may interfere with lab tests for vitamin B12 and folic acid. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know all the medicines that you are taking.
- Do not take large doses of vitamins (megadoses or megavitamin therapy) while taking Cobal 1000 unless directed by your doctor.
- LAB TESTS, including complete blood cell counts, platelet counts, and blood potassium, vitamin B12, and folic acid levels, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Cobal 1000 contains benzyl alcohol, a preservative. Do not use Cobal 1000 in NEWBORNS or INFANTS because serious and sometimes fatal nervous system problems and other side effects may occur.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Cobal 1000 , discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Cobal 1000 during pregnancy. Cobal 1000 is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Cobal 1000 , check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Cobal 1000 :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. If any of the following most COMMON side effects continue or become bothersome, check with your doctor: Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Mild, temporary diarrhea.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); calf pain, swelling, or tenderness; chest pain; feeling of swelling throughout the entire body; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; irregular heartbeat; muscle weakness or cramping; shortness of breath; unusual bruising or bleeding.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Cobal 1000 :
Store Cobal 1000 at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Store upright. Do not freeze. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Cobal 1000 out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Cobal 1000 , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Cobal 1000 is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Cobal 1000 . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.