Codeine Phosphate SolutionGeneric Name:
Codeine Phosphate (KOE-deen FOS-fate)Brand Name:
Generic only. No brands available.
Codeine Phosphate Solution is used for:
Treating mild to moderate pain.
Codeine Phosphate Solution is a narcotic analgesic. It works in certain areas of the brain and nervous system to decrease pain.
Do NOT use Codeine Phosphate Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Codeine Phosphate Solution or to any codeine- or morphine-related medicine (eg, oxycodone)
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Codeine Phosphate Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Codeine Phosphate Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have or recently have had any head injury, brain injury or tumor, increased pressure in the brain, infection of the brain or nervous system, epilepsy, or seizures
- if you have a history of heart problems, stomach problems, bowel problems (eg, chronic inflammation or ulceration of the bowel), gallbladder problems (eg, gallstones), an enlarged prostate gland or other prostate problems, a blockage of your bladder or bowel, recent abdominal surgery, kidney or liver problems, adrenal gland problems (eg, Addison disease), or an underactive thyroid
- if you have a history of asthma, chronic cough, lung problems (eg, chronic bronchitis, emphysema), or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or if your cough occurs with large amounts of mucus
- if you have a history of alcohol abuse, drug abuse, or suicidal thoughts or behavior
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Codeine Phosphate Solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- HIV protease inhibitors (eg, ritonavir), monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors (eg, phenelzine), other narcotic pain medicines, phenothiazines (eg, chlorpromazine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because side effects of Codeine Phosphate Solution may be increased
- Cimetidine or sodium oxybate (GHB) because the risk of severe drowsiness, breathing problems, and seizures may be increased
- Naltrexone or quinidine because effectiveness of Codeine Phosphate Solution may be decreased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Codeine Phosphate Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Codeine Phosphate Solution:
Use Codeine Phosphate Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Codeine Phosphate Solution is usually administered as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you are using Codeine Phosphate Solution at home, carefully follow the injection procedures taught to you by your health care provider.
- If Codeine Phosphate Solution contains particles or is discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged in any way, do not use it.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and away from pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Dispose of properly after use. Ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain local regulations for proper disposal.
- If you miss a dose of Codeine Phosphate Solution, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Codeine Phosphate Solution.
Important safety information:
- Codeine Phosphate Solution may cause drowsiness or dizziness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Codeine Phosphate Solution. Using Codeine Phosphate Solution alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Avoid drinking alcohol or taking other medications that cause drowsiness (eg, sedatives, tranquilizers) while taking Codeine Phosphate Solution. Codeine Phosphate Solution will add to the effects of alcohol and other depressants. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines are depressants.
- Some of these products contain sulfites, which can cause allergic reactions in certain individuals (eg, asthma patients). If you have previously had allergic reactions to sulfites, contact your pharmacist to determine if the product you are taking contains sulfites.
- Before you have any medical or dental treatments, emergency care, or surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are using Codeine Phosphate Solution.
- Use Codeine Phosphate Solution with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is unknown if Codeine Phosphate Solution can cause harm to the fetus. If you think you may be pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Codeine Phosphate Solution during pregnancy. Codeine Phosphate Solution is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Codeine Phosphate Solution.
When used for long periods of time or at high doses, Codeine Phosphate Solution may not work as well and may require higher doses to obtain the same effect as when originally taken. This is known as TOLERANCE. Talk with your doctor if Codeine Phosphate Solution stops working well. Do not take more than prescribed.
When used for long periods of time or at high doses, some people develop a need to continue taking Codeine Phosphate Solution. This is known as DEPENDENCE or addiction.
If you suddenly stop taking Codeine Phosphate Solution, you may experience WITHDRAWAL symptoms including anxiety; diarrhea; fever, runny nose, or sneezing; goose bumps and abnormal skin sensations; nausea; pain; rapid heartbeat; rigid muscles; seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there; shivering or tremors; sweating; trouble sleeping; and vomiting.
Possible side effects of Codeine Phosphate Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; dizziness; drowsiness; flushing; lightheadedness; nausea; sweating; tiredness; vomiting.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); confusion; fast heartbeat; fainting; mental or mood changes; seizures; severe drowsiness or dizziness; slow or shallow breathing; trouble urinating.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include cold and clammy skin; coma; confusion; dizziness; excitability; fever; garbled speech; hallucinations; loss of consciousness; mood or mental changes; nausea; rapid breathing; restlessness; ringing in the ears or trouble hearing; seizures; skin rash; slow or shallow breathing; sluggishness; small pupils; sweating; thirst; unusual sleepiness; vision changes; vomiting.Proper storage of Codeine Phosphate Solution:
Codeine Phosphate Solution is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using Codeine Phosphate Solution at home, store Codeine Phosphate Solution as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider.
- If you have any questions about Codeine Phosphate Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Codeine Phosphate Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Codeine Phosphate Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Codeine Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- codeine Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)