Colestid Generic Name: Colestipol
Colestid is used for:
Lowering blood cholesterol levels. It is used along with changes in diet.
Colestid is a bile acid sequestrant. It works in the bowel to help remove bile acids from the body. The body then uses cholesterol to make more bile acids. This causes blood cholesterol levels to decrease.
Do NOT use Colestid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Colestid
- you have severe constipation, bile blockage or drainage problems, certain types of high blood lipid levels, or hyperchloremic metabolic acidosis (a type of high blood acid level)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Colestid :
Some medical conditions may interact with Colestid . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have constipation, hemorrhoids, or problems swallowing, or if you choke easily
- if you have heart disease, blood problems (eg, bleeding or clotting problems), high blood triglyceride levels, kidney or liver problems, or underactive thyroid
- if you cannot absorb nutrients properly into your body
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Colestid . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol) because their effectiveness may be altered by Colestid
- Chlorothiazide, digoxin, furosemide, gemfibrozil, hydrochlorothiazide, oral hydrocortisone, oral phosphate supplements, penicillin, or tetracycline because their effectiveness may be decreased by Colestid
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Colestid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Colestid :
Use Colestid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Colestid by mouth with or without food.
- Swallow Colestid whole. Do not cut, crush, or chew tablets.
- Always take one tablet at a time. Swallow the tablet right away.
- Take each dose with at least one full glass (8 oz/240 mL) of water or other liquid. Swallowing the tablet will be easier if you drink plenty of liquids as you swallow each tablet.
- Take any other medicines at least 1 hour before or 4 hours after you take Colestid .
- Drinking extra fluids and making sure you get enough fiber is recommended while you are taking Colestid . Check with your doctor for instructions.
- Continue to take Colestid even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Colestid , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Colestid .
Important safety information:
- Colestid may cause dizziness or lightheadedness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Colestid with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Follow the diet and exercise program given to you by your health care provider.
- Do not take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If severe or persistent constipation occurs, ask your doctor about taking a stool softener while you take Colestid .
- If the tablet gets stuck after you swallow it, you may notice chest pressure or discomfort. If this happens, contact your doctor right away. Do not take another tablet unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Lab tests, including blood cholesterol and blood triglyceride levels, may be performed while you use Colestid . These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Colestid should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Colestid can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Colestid while you are pregnant. It is not known if Colestid is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Colestid , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Colestid :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Bloating; constipation; diarrhea; gas; heartburn; indigestion; loose stools; nausea; stomach pain or cramping; vomiting.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blood in the stools; chest pressure or discomfort; irregular heartbeat; muscle weakness; severe constipation; trouble swallowing; unusual bruising or bleeding.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Colestid :
Store Colestid at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Colestid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Colestid , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Colestid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Colestid . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Colestid Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Colestid Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Colestid Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Colestid Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Colestipol Prescribing Information (FDA)