Collagen/Lidocaine GelGeneric Name:
Collagen/Lidocaine (KOL-uh-juhn/LYE-doe-kane/AL-oh)Brand Name:
Collagen/Lidocaine Gel is used for:
Relieving pain and discomfort in the management of pressure ulcers, shallow wounds and scrapes, or mild to moderate burns. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Collagen/Lidocaine Gel is an anesthetic. It works by preventing nerves from sending painful impulses to the brain.
Do NOT use Collagen/Lidocaine Gel if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Collagen/Lidocaine Gel or to similar medicines (eg, amide-type anesthetics)
- you have an infection (eg, oozing, warmth, pain) at the affected area
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Collagen/Lidocaine Gel:
Some medical conditions may interact with Collagen/Lidocaine Gel. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to any anesthetic medicine
- if you have heart, liver, or kidney problems
- if you have been very ill or weakened, or have a severe injury at the affected area
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Collagen/Lidocaine Gel. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Certain antiarrhythmics (eg, amiodarone, mexiletine), beta-blockers (eg, atenolol), or cimetidine because side effects, such as confusion, low blood pressure, slow breathing, slow heartbeat, or sluggishness, may occur
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Collagen/Lidocaine Gel may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Collagen/Lidocaine Gel:
Use Collagen/Lidocaine Gel as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Wash your hands well before and after using Collagen/Lidocaine Gel.
- Wash the wound with a mild wound cleanser and apply Collagen/Lidocaine Gel to the affected area as directed by your doctor.
- Bandage or wrap the affected area as directed by your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Collagen/Lidocaine Gel, use it as soon as you remember. Continue to use it as directed by your doctor or on the package label.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Collagen/Lidocaine Gel.
Important safety information:
- Do not get Collagen/Lidocaine Gel in your eyes, ears, nose, or mouth. If you get it in your eyes, rinse at once with cool tap water. Contact your doctor and protect your eyes until the numbness goes away.
- Collagen/Lidocaine Gel may cause numbness at the treated area. Do not scratch, rub, or expose the area to extreme hot or cold temperatures while numbness occurs.
- Do not use Collagen/Lidocaine Gel in large amounts, over large areas, or for longer than recommended. This may increase your risk of serious side effects.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Collagen/Lidocaine Gel before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Collagen/Lidocaine Gel may cause harm if it is swallowed. If you may have taken it by mouth, contact your poison control center or emergency room right away.
- Do not use Collagen/Lidocaine Gel in CHILDREN without first checking with the child's doctor.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Collagen/Lidocaine Gel can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Collagen/Lidocaine Gel while you are pregnant. It is not known if Collagen/Lidocaine Gel is found in breast milk after topical use. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Collagen/Lidocaine Gel, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Collagen/Lidocaine Gel:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Irritation; numbness; redness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blurred vision; chest pain; dizziness; drowsiness; irregular heartbeat; severe or persistent irritation; signs of infection (eg, oozing, warmth, pain); trembling.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Collagen/Lidocaine Gel may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Collagen/Lidocaine Gel:
Store Collagen/Lidocaine Gel at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Collagen/Lidocaine Gel out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Collagen/Lidocaine Gel, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Collagen/Lidocaine Gel is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Discard unused medicine and packaging in the trash out of the reach of children and pets.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Collagen/Lidocaine Gel. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.