Colyte SolutionGeneric Name: Polyethylene Glycol/Electrolytes
(pol-ee-ETH-i-leen GLYE-kole/e-LECK-troe-lites)Brand Name:
Examples include Colyte and Colyte with Flavor Packs
Colyte Solution is used for:
Cleaning out the bowel before surgery or other procedures. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Colyte Solution is a laxative. It works by causing the colon to move contents along more quickly.
Do NOT use Colyte Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Colyte Solution
- you have appendicitis or a history of stomach or bowel disease (eg, blockage, retention, perforation, toxic inflammation, megacolon, ileus)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Colyte Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Colyte Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a throat (esophagus) disease, ulcerative colitis, heart disease (eg, irregular heartbeat, congestive heart failure), swallowing problems (eg, history of aspiration or regurgitation), impaired gag reflex, electrolyte imbalances (eg, high blood potassium levels), or rectal bleeding of unknown cause
- if you have a history of alcohol use
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Colyte Solution. However, no specific interactions with Colyte Solution are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Colyte Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Colyte Solution:
Use Colyte Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Your doctor will tell you when to start using Colyte Solution. Do not eat any solid foods for at least 2 hours before beginning Colyte Solution. It is preferred that you do not eat for 3 to 4 hours before beginning Colyte Solution.
- Drink only clear liquids and do not eat any solid foods from the time you start Colyte Solution until your procedure is complete.
- Before using Colyte Solution, fill the container with the amount of water indicated on the package label. Use lukewarm water to mix Colyte Solution to help the medicine dissolve faster. Shake well.
- Chilling Colyte Solution improves the taste. Do not add sugar, sweetening agents, or other additives to Colyte Solution.
- Some of these products come with a Flavor Pack. If this product comes with a Flavor Pack and you wish to use it, add the contents of the Flavor Pack into the bottle before you add the water. If you do not use the Flavor Pack, throw it away.
- Shake well before each use.
- Drink 8 ounces (240 mL) of Colyte Solution every 10 minutes until the stool is watery, clear, and free of all solid matter, or until the medicine is gone. At least 3 liters is usually required to produce the watery stool. It is best to drink all of Colyte Solution. Be sure to follow the instructions provided by your doctor. It is best to drink each portion quickly rather than sipping it. Rinsing your mouth with mouthwash after each glass of medicine may help get rid of the taste.
- Other medicines taken by mouth within 1 hour of taking Colyte Solution may not be absorbed or be effective. Contact your doctor or pharmacist with any concerns you might have about taking your other medicines.
- If you miss a dose of Colyte Solution, take it as soon as you remember. Continue to take it as directed by your doctor. Notify your doctor right away if you are unable to finish taking Colyte Solution before your test.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Colyte Solution.
Important safety information:
- The first bowel movement usually occurs about 1 hour after you begin drinking Colyte Solution.
- Keep all doctor and lab appointments while you are taking Colyte Solution.
- Use Colyte Solution with caution in patients who are unconscious or partially conscious because they may be at greater risk for vomiting and inhaling Colyte Solution.
- Use Colyte Solution with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Colyte Solution should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Colyte Solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if Colyte Solution is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Colyte Solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Colyte Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Bloating; nausea; rectal irritation; stomach fullness or cramps; vomiting.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; hoarseness; muscle weakness; persistent or severe nausea and vomiting; severe bloating or abdominal swelling; severe stomach pain; slow or irregular heartbeat; vomiting of blood.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Colyte Solution:
Before mixing, store Colyte Solution at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. After preparing the solution, store Colyte Solution in the refrigerator in a tightly closed container. Use within 48 hours. Discard any unused portion of Colyte Solution. Keep Colyte Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Colyte Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Colyte Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Colyte Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Colyte Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Colyte Prescribing Information (FDA)
- MoviPrep Consumer Overview
- MoviPrep Prescribing Information (FDA)
- NuLYTELY Prescribing Information (FDA)