Cystadane PowderGeneric Name: Betaine
Cystadane Powder is used for:
Cystadane Powder is a metabolic agent. It works by decreasing blood levels of homocysteine.
Do NOT use Cystadane Powder if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Cystadane Powder
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Cystadane Powder:
Some medical conditions may interact with Cystadane Powder. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have cystathionine beta-synthase (CBS) deficiency or high blood methionine levels
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Cystadane Powder. However, no specific interactions with Cystadane Powder are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if Cystadane Powder may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Cystadane Powder:
Use Cystadane Powder as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Cystadane Powder by mouth with or without food.
- Shake the bottle gently before removing the cap.
- Use the scoop that comes with Cystadane Powder to measure your dose. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Mix the prescribed amount of medicine with 4 to 6 ounces of water, juice, milk, or formula until it is completely dissolved. You may also mix Cystadane Powder with food. Swallow the mixture right away.
- Replace the cap tightly after each dose.
- If you miss a dose of Cystadane Powder, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Cystadane Powder.
Important safety information:
- Lab tests, including homocysteine and methionine blood levels, may be performed while you use Cystadane Powder. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Cystadane Powder can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Cystadane Powder while you are pregnant. It is not known if Cystadane Powder is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Cystadane Powder, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Cystadane Powder:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with Cystadane Powder. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Cystadane Powder:
Store Cystadane Powder at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Cystadane Powder out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Cystadane Powder, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Cystadane Powder is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Cystadane Powder. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Cystadane Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Cystadane Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Cystadane Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Cystadane Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information