Cytra-K SolutionGeneric Name: Potassium Citrate/Citric Acid
(poe-TASS-ee-um SYE-trate/SIH-trik AS-id)Brand Name:
Examples include Cytra-K and Polycitra-K
Cytra-K Solution is used for:
Preventing certain types of kidney stones. It also may be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Cytra-K Solution is a urinary alkalinizing agent. It neutralizes some of the acid in your urine, which reduces the formation of crystals in your urine that could become kidney stones or aggravate gout.
Do NOT use Cytra-K Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Cytra-K Solution
- you have high potassium levels in the blood, aluminum toxicity, heart failure or injury, or severe kidney problems
- you are taking an aldosterone blocker (eg, spironolactone), an aluminum salt (eg, aluminum hydroxide), a potassium-sparing diuretic (eg, triamterene), or sucralfate
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Cytra-K Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Cytra-K Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have heart problems, kidney problems, difficulty swallowing, blockage in your intestine or stomach, peptic ulcer, or uncontrolled diabetes
- if you have diarrhea or a urinary tract infection, or you are dehydrated
- if you are on a sodium-restricted diet
- if you have severe burns or other tissue damage or high acid levels or toxic substances in your blood, or your adrenal glands are not functioning correctly
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Cytra-K Solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors (eg, enalapril), aldosterone blockers (eg, spironolactone), or potassium-sparing diuretics (eg, triamterene) because they may increase the risk of Cytra-K Solution's side effects, especially on the heart
- Aluminum salts (eg, aluminum hydroxide), anorexiants (eg, phentermine), flecainide, mecamylamine, quinidine, sucralfate , or certain stimulants (eg, albuterol, amphetamine, pseudoephedrine) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Cytra-K Solution
- Lithium because its effectiveness may be decreased by Cytra-K Solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Cytra-K Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Cytra-K Solution:
Use Cytra-K Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Cytra-K Solution by mouth with food or milk.
- Be sure to dilute Cytra-K Solution in water as directed on the packaging or by your doctor.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Shake well before each use.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking Cytra-K Solution is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- If you take a tetracycline antibiotic (eg, doxycycline), do not take Cytra-K Solution within 2 hours before or after taking the tetracycline. Check with your doctor if you have questions
- If you miss a dose of Cytra-K Solution, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Cytra-K Solution.
Important safety information:
- Check with your doctor before you use a salt substitute or a product that has potassium in it.
- Additional monitoring of your dose may be needed if you are taking a salicylate (eg, aspirin) or a sulfonylurea (eg, glyburide).
- Lab tests, including blood potassium levels, other blood electrolyte levels, and electrocardiogram (ECG), may be performed while you use Cytra-K Solution. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Cytra-K Solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if Cytra-K Solution is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Cytra-K Solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Cytra-K Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Diarrhea; loose stools; nausea; upset stomach; vomiting.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; confusion; severe stomach pain; tingling of hands or feet; vomit that looks like coffee grounds; weakness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include confusion; fainting; irregular heartbeat; seizures; sluggishness; weakness.Proper storage of Cytra-K Solution:
Store Cytra-K Solution at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Cytra-K Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Cytra-K Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Cytra-K Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Cytra-K Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Cytra-K Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Cytra-K Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information