Dapiprazole Generic Name:
Dapiprazole (da-PI-pray-zole)Brand Name:
Dapiprazole is used for:
Decreasing the size of the pupil after certain eye examinations or surgery.
Dapiprazole is an antimydriatic. It works by blocking the smooth muscle contraction of the iris, which helps to decrease the size of the pupil.
Do NOT use Dapiprazole if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Dapiprazole
- you have acute iritis (inflammation of the front portion of the eye)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Dapiprazole :
Some medical conditions may interact with Dapiprazole . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Dapiprazole . However, no specific interactions with Dapiprazole are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Dapiprazole may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Dapiprazole :
Use Dapiprazole as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Dapiprazole is usually administered at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic.
- Dapiprazole is for use in the eye only. Avoid contact with other mucous membranes.
- Dapiprazole must be mixed before using. To use Dapiprazole , first, wash your hands. Tilt your head back. Using your index finger, pull the lower eyelid away from the eye to form a pouch. Drop the medicine into the pouch and gently close your eyes. Immediately use your finger to apply pressure to the inside corner of the eye for 1 to 2 minutes. Do not blink. Remove excess medicine around your eye with a clean tissue, being careful not to touch your eye. Wash your hands to remove any medicine that may be on them. To prevent germs from contaminating your medicine, do not touch the applicator tip to any surface, including your eye. Keep the container tightly closed.
- If Dapiprazole is cloudy or discolored, do not use it.
- If you miss a dose of Dapiprazole , contact your doctor immediately.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Dapiprazole .
Important safety information:
- Dapiprazole may cause blurred vision or difficulty seeing in the dark. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Dapiprazole . Using Dapiprazole alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Patients should not receive Dapiprazole more often than once per week.
- Use Dapiprazole with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 4 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Dapiprazole , discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Dapiprazole during pregnancy. It is unknown if Dapiprazole is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Dapiprazole , check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Dapiprazole :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Headache; light sensitivity; redness and itching of the eyelids; redness or burning when you first put the medicine in your eye.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); swelling of the eyelid.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Dapiprazole :
Store mixed medicine at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), for 21 days. If Dapiprazole is cloudy or discolored, discard it. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Dapiprazole out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Dapiprazole , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Dapiprazole is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Dapiprazole . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.