Daypro Generic Name: Oxaprozin
Daypro is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It may cause an increased risk of serious and sometimes fatal heart and blood vessel problems (eg, heart attack, stroke). The risk may be greater if you already have heart problems or if you take Daypro for a long time. Do not use Daypro right before or after bypass heart surgery.
Daypro may cause an increased risk of serious and sometimes fatal stomach ulcers and bleeding. Elderly patients may be at greater risk. This may occur without warning signs.
Daypro is used for:
Treating rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, or juvenile arthritis. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Daypro is an NSAID. Exactly how it works is not known. It may block certain substances in the body that are linked to inflammation. NSAIDs treat the symptoms of pain and inflammation. They do not treat the disease that causes those symptoms.
Do NOT use Daypro if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Daypro
- you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, trouble breathing, growths in the nose, dizziness) to aspirin or an NSAID (eg, ibuprofen, celecoxib)
- you have recently had or will be having bypass heart surgery
- you are in the last 3 months of pregnancy
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Daypro :
Some medical conditions may interact with Daypro . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of kidney or liver disease, diabetes, or stomach or bowel problems (eg, bleeding, perforation, ulcers)
- if you have a history of swelling or fluid buildup, asthma, growths in the nose (nasal polyps), or mouth inflammation
- if you have high blood pressure, a blood disorder, bleeding or clotting problems, heart problems (eg, heart failure), or blood vessel disease, or if you are at risk for any of these diseases
- if you have poor health, dehydration or low fluid volume, or low blood sodium levels, you drink alcohol, or you have a history of alcohol abuse
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Daypro . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin), aspirin, corticosteroids (eg, prednisone), heparin, or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) (eg, fluoxetine) because the risk of stomach bleeding may be increased
- Probenecid because it may increase the risk of Daypro 's side effects
- Cyclosporine, lithium, methotrexate, quinolones (eg, ciprofloxacin), or sulfonylureas (eg, glyburide) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Daypro
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors (eg, enalapril), beta-blockers (eg, metoprolol), or diuretics (eg, furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Daypro
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Daypro may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Daypro :
Use Daypro as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Daypro comes with an extra patient information sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it carefully. Read it again each time you get Daypro refilled.
- Take Daypro by mouth. It may be taken with food if it upsets your stomach. This may not lower the risk of stomach or bowel problems (eg, bleeding, ulcers). Talk with your doctor if you have persistent stomach upset.
- Take Daypro with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL) as directed by your doctor.
- If you miss a dose of Daypro and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose. Go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Daypro .
Important safety information:
- Daypro may cause dizziness or drowsiness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Daypro with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Serious stomach ulcers or bleeding can occur with the use of Daypro . Taking it in high doses or for a long time, smoking, or drinking alcohol increases the risk of these side effects. Taking Daypro with food will NOT reduce the risk of these effects. Contact your doctor or emergency room at once if you develop severe stomach or back pain; black, tarry stools; vomit that looks like blood or coffee grounds; or unusual weight gain or swelling.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Daypro is an NSAID. Before you start taking any new medicine, read the ingredients. If it also has an NSAID (eg, ibuprofen) in it, check with your doctor. If you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do not take aspirin while you are using Daypro unless your doctor tells you to.
- Daypro may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Daypro . Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for any length of time.
- Daypro may interfere with certain lab tests. Be sure your doctor and lab personnel know that you take Daypro .
- Lab tests, including kidney function, complete blood cell counts, and blood pressure, may be done to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Daypro with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, including stomach bleeding and kidney problems.
- Daypro should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Daypro may harm the fetus. Do not use it during the last 3 months of pregnancy. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Daypro while you are pregnant. It is not known if Daypro is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while you are taking Daypro .
Possible side effects of Daypro :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; gas; headache; heartburn; nausea; stomach upset.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; trouble breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody or black, tarry stools; change in the amount of urine produced; chest pain; confusion; dark urine; depression; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or persistent sore throat; mental or mood changes; numbness of an arm or leg; one-sided weakness; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; ringing in the ears; seizures; severe headache or dizziness; severe or persistent stomach pain or nausea; severe vomiting; shortness of breath; sudden or unexplained weight gain; swelling of hands, legs, or feet; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual joint or muscle pain; unusual tiredness or weakness; vision or speech changes; vomit that looks like coffee grounds; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include decreased urination; loss of consciousness; seizures; severe dizziness or drowsiness; severe nausea or stomach pain; slow or troubled breathing; unusual bleeding or bruising; vomit that looks like coffee grounds.Proper storage of Daypro :
Store Daypro at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Daypro out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Daypro , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Daypro is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is summary only. It does not contain all information about Daypro . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Daypro Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Daypro Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Daypro Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Daypro Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Oxaprozin Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Oxaprozin Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)