DDAVP Spray (Non-refrigerated)Generic Name: Desmopressin
DDAVP Spray (Non-refrigerated) is used for:
Managing temporarily increased thirst and urination caused by head injury or certain types of brain surgery, or to manage certain types of diabetes (cranial diabetes insipidus). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
DDAVP Spray (Non-refrigerated) is an antidiuretic hormone. It works by causing the kidneys to produce less urine.
Do NOT use DDAVP Spray (Non-refrigerated) if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in DDAVP Spray (Non-refrigerated)
- you have moderate to severe kidney problems
- you have or have a history of low blood sodium levels (salt depletion)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using DDAVP Spray (Non-refrigerated):
Some medical conditions may interact with DDAVP Spray (Non-refrigerated). Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have nasal problems (eg, scarring, swelling, congestion, blockage, discharge, severe runny nose)
- if you have severe drowsiness
- if you have a history of kidney problems, heart problems (eg, heart blood vessel problems), or high blood pressure
- if you have cystic fibrosis, dehydration, fever, severe infection, vomiting or diarrhea, swelling or fluid retention, or abnormal blood electrolyte levels
- if you are exposed to very hot weather, are physically active, or drink a lot of water
- if you have recently had surgery in the head area
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with DDAVP Spray (Non-refrigerated). Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Carbamazepine, chlorpromazine, lamotrigine, narcotic analgesics (eg, codeine), nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (eg, ibuprofen), oxybutynin, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) (eg, fluoxetine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, imipramine) because the risk of fluid overload with low blood sodium levels may be increased
Ask your health care provider if DDAVP Spray (Non-refrigerated) may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use DDAVP Spray (Non-refrigerated):
Use DDAVP Spray (Non-refrigerated) as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with DDAVP Spray (Non-refrigerated). Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- DDAVP Spray (Non-refrigerated) should only be used in the nose. Do not get it in your eyes or mouth. If you get it in your eyes, rinse at once with cool tap water.
- The pump must be primed before the first use. To prime the pump, point the nozzle away from yourself and others and press down 4 times.
- If the pump has not been used for over a week, reprime the pump by pressing down once.
- To use, gently blow your nose. Tilt the bottle so that the tube inside draws from the deepest amount of medicine.
- Sit down and tilt your head back slightly. Place the tip of the spray container into the nose. Using a finger from your other hand, press against the opposite nostril to close if off. Breathe gently through the open nostril and squeeze the spray container. If you are using more than 1 spray, wait for 1 to 2 minutes between sprays.
- Alternate between nostrils with each spray as directed by your doctor.
- After using the medicine, rinse the tip of the spray unit in hot water and dry with a clean tissue to prevent contamination.
- Replace the cap on the bottle after each use.
- The bottle contains 50 sprays. Keep track of how many sprays you use, and throw the bottle away after 50 sprays. Do not try to use more than 50 sprays from the bottle, because you may not get the correct amount of medicine in each spray. Do not try to transfer the remaining medicine to another bottle.
- If you miss a dose of DDAVP Spray (Non-refrigerated), use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use DDAVP Spray (Non-refrigerated).
Important safety information:
- DDAVP Spray (Non-refrigerated) may cause dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use DDAVP Spray (Non-refrigerated) with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Follow the fluid intake instructions given to you by your health care provider very carefully. Serious side effects may occur if you drink too much liquid while taking DDAVP Spray (Non-refrigerated).
- Check with your doctor if you experience infection, fever, vomiting, or diarrhea. Tell your doctor if you will be exposed to very hot weather, will be physically active, or will be increasing your water intake for any reason. The risk of low blood sodium levels may be increased.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take DDAVP Spray (Non-refrigerated) before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Lab tests, including urine volume or blood electrolyte levels, may be performed while you use DDAVP Spray (Non-refrigerated). These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use DDAVP Spray (Non-refrigerated) with caution in the ELDERLY and in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially water overload. Signs of water overload may include severe or persistent nausea or headache, vomiting, or unusual weight gain.
- DDAVP Spray (Non-refrigerated) should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old if used for nighttime bedwetting; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using DDAVP Spray (Non-refrigerated) while you are pregnant. It is not known if DDAVP Spray (Non-refrigerated) is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using DDAVP Spray (Non-refrigerated), check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of DDAVP Spray (Non-refrigerated):
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Runny or stuffy nose.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); confusion; fainting; loss of appetite; mental or mood changes (eg, agitation, irritability); muscle weakness, spasms, or cramps; nausea; personality changes; recurrent or severe nosebleeds; seizures; severe or persistent nasal pain; swelling; unusual headache or restlessness; unusual tiredness or sluggishness; unusual weight gain; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. DDAVP Spray (Non-refrigerated) may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of DDAVP Spray (Non-refrigerated):
Store DDAVP Spray (Non-refrigerated) at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Store the bottle in an upright position. Keep DDAVP Spray (Non-refrigerated) out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about DDAVP Spray (Non-refrigerated), please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- DDAVP Spray (Non-refrigerated) is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about DDAVP Spray (Non-refrigerated). If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.