Delsym Extended-Release LiquidGeneric Name: Dextromethorphan Polistirex
Delsym Extended-Release Liquid is used for:
Temporarily relieving cough due to the common cold, hay fever, upper respiratory tract infections, sinus inflammation, sore throat, or bronchitis.
Delsym Extended-Release Liquid is a cough suppressant. It works in the cough center of the brain to reduce a dry or nonproductive cough.
Do NOT use Delsym Extended-Release Liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Delsym Extended-Release Liquid
- you are taking or have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Delsym Extended-Release Liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Delsym Extended-Release Liquid. Tell your health care provider if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have chronic cough, chronic bronchitis, asthma, emphysema, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or if cough occurs with a large amount of mucus
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Delsym Extended-Release Liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Furazolidone or MAO inhibitors (eg, phenelzine) because the risk of toxic side effects may be increased by Delsym Extended-Release Liquid.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Delsym Extended-Release Liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Delsym Extended-Release Liquid:
Use Delsym Extended-Release Liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Delsym Extended-Release Liquid may be taken with or without food. Take with food if stomach upset occurs.
- Shake well before using.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Delsym Extended-Release Liquid and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Delsym Extended-Release Liquid.
Important safety information:
- Delsym Extended-Release Liquid may cause drowsiness, dizziness, blurred vision, or lightheadedness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Delsym Extended-Release Liquid. Using Delsym Extended-Release Liquid alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or to perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- If your cough lasts for more than 1 week or comes back, or if you also have a fever, rash, or persistent headache, contact your health care provider. A persistent cough could be a sign of a serious condition.
- Delsym Extended-Release Liquid contains dextromethorphan. Before you being taking any new prescription or nonprescription medicine, read the ingredients to see if it also contains dextromethorphan. If it does or if you are not sure, contact your health care provider or pharmacist.
- Diabetes patients - Some brands of Delsym Extended-Release Liquid may contain sugar and affect your blood sugar level. Read the label carefully before using Delsym Extended-Release Liquid.
- Delsym Extended-Release Liquid is not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 2 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is unknown if Delsym Extended-Release Liquid can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant while taking Delsym Extended-Release Liquid, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Delsym Extended-Release Liquid during pregnancy. It is unknown if Delsym Extended-Release Liquid is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Delsym Extended-Release Liquid.
Possible side effects of Delsym Extended-Release Liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dizziness; drowsiness; stomach upset.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include confusion; excitement; hallucinations; slowed breathing.Proper storage of Delsym Extended-Release Liquid:
Store Delsym Extended-Release Liquid between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Delsym Extended-Release Liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Delsym Extended-Release Liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Delsym Extended-Release Liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Delsym Extended-Release Liquid. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Delsym Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Delsym Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information