Demadex SolutionGeneric Name: Torsemide
Demadex Solution is used for:
Treatment of edema (swelling) associated with heart, kidney, or liver failure, or conditions when there is excess body water. The injection is used when a rapid decrease of swelling is desired or when a tablet cannot be taken. It is also used alone or with other medicines to treat high blood pressure. It may also be used to treat certain conditions as determined by your doctor, which may not be listed in the professional package insert.
Demadex Solution is a loop diuretic. It works by making the kidneys eliminate larger amounts of electrolytes (especially sodium and potassium salts) and water than normal (diuretic effect).
Do NOT use Demadex Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Demadex Solution or to sulfonylureas (eg, glyburide)
- you are unable to urinate
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Demadex Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Demadex Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines or other substances
- if you have fluid in your abdomen, hearing impairment, diabetes mellitus, low urine output, high blood uric acid levels, a blood disorder, kidney disease, lupus, had a heart attack, are dehydrated, or have liver disease or heart failure
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Demadex Solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Aminoglycosides (eg, gentamicin) or cisplatin because the risk of temporary or permanent hearing loss may be increased
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs; eg, ibuprofen, naproxen) or probenecid because they may decrease the effectiveness of Demadex Solution
- Chloral hydrate, digitalis (eg, digoxin), lithium, suramin because side effects may be increased by Demadex Solution
- Nondepolarizing muscle relaxants (eg, pancuronium) because its actions and side effects may be increased or decreased by Demadex Solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Demadex Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Demadex Solution:
Use Demadex Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Demadex Solution is usually given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic.
- Do not use Demadex Solution if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- Demadex Solution should be given intravenously slowly over a period of at least 2 minutes or as a continuous infusion.
- Demadex Solution may increase the amount of urine or cause you to urinate more often when you first start taking it. To keep this from disturbing your sleep, try to take your dose before 6 pm.
- Avoid eating licorice or Korean ginseng while taking Demadex Solution.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- If you miss a dose of Demadex Solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Demadex Solution.
Important safety information:
- Demadex Solution may cause drowsiness or dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Demadex Solution with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Demadex Solution may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Patients being treated for high blood pressure can often feel tired or rundown for a few weeks after beginning therapy. Continue taking our medicine even though you might not feel quite "normal". Contact your health care provider or pharmacist about any new symptoms.
- Demadex Solution may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Demadex Solution. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Your doctor may have also prescribed a potassium supplement for you. If so, follow the dosing carefully. Do not start taking additional potassium on your own or change your diet to include more potassium without first checking with your doctor.
- Demadex Solution is a strong "water pill" (diuretic). Using too much of Demadex Solution can lead to serious water and mineral loss. Therefore, it is important that you be monitored by your doctor. Promptly notify your doctor if you become very thirsty, have a dry mouth, become confused, or develop muscle cramps/weakness.
- Diabetic patients - Demadex Solution may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely and ask your doctor before adjusting the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Weight should be monitored while taking this medication.
- Lab tests, including kidney function, electrolyte levels, and blood pressure, may be performed while you use Demadex Solution. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Demadex Solution is not recommended for use in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you plan on becoming pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Demadex Solution during pregnancy. It is not known if Demadex Solution is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Demadex Solution, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Demadex Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; dizziness or lightheadedness when sitting up or standing; excessive urination; headache; increased cough; nasal inflammation; nausea.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; diarrhea; dry mouth or unusual thirst; hearing loss or ringing in the ears; loss of appetite; muscle pain or cramps; rapid or irregular heartbeat; rectal bleeding; restlessness; unusual tiredness or weakness; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include confusion; dizziness; dizziness or lightheadedness when sitting up or standing; dry mouth; excessive urination followed by a decrease in amount of urine, muscle cramps, weakness, rapid or irregular heartbeat.Proper storage of Demadex Solution:
Store Demadex Solution between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Do not freeze. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Demadex Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Demadex Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Demadex Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Demadex Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Demadex Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Demadex Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Demadex Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Demadex Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Torsemide Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Torsemide Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)