Desmopressin SolutionGeneric Name:
Desmopressin (DES-moe-PRES-in)Brand Name:
Desmopressin Solution is used for:
Managing bleeding in patients with certain bleeding disorders (eg, hemophilia A, type I von Willebrand disease). It is also used to manage temporarily increased thirst and urination caused by head injury or certain types of brain surgery, or to manage certain types of diabetes (cranial diabetes insipidus). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Desmopressin Solution is an antidiuretic hormone. It works by causing the kidneys to produce less urine.
Do NOT use Desmopressin Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Desmopressin Solution
- you have moderate to severe kidney problems
- you have type IIB von Willebrand disease
- you have or have a history of low blood sodium levels (salt depletion)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Desmopressin Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Desmopressin Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have severe drowsiness
- if you have a history of kidney problems, heart problems (eg, heart blood vessel problems), abnormal blood clots (eg, in the legs, lungs, eyes), or high blood pressure
- if you have cystic fibrosis, dehydration, fever, severe infection, vomiting or diarrhea, swelling or fluid retention, or abnormal blood electrolyte levels
- if you are exposed to very hot weather, are physically active, or drink a lot of water
- if you have recently had surgery in the head area
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Desmopressin Solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Carbamazepine, chlorpromazine, lamotrigine, narcotic analgesics (eg, codeine), nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (eg, ibuprofen), oxybutynin, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) (eg, fluoxetine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, imipramine) because the risk of fluid overload with low blood sodium levels may be increased
Ask your health care provider if Desmopressin Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Desmopressin Solution:
Use Desmopressin Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Desmopressin Solution is usually given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you will be using Desmopressin Solution at home, a health care provider will teach you how to use it. Be sure you understand how to use Desmopressin Solution. Follow the procedures you are taught when you use a dose. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- Do not use Desmopressin Solution if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- If you miss a dose of Desmopressin Solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once. Contact your doctor right away.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Desmopressin Solution.
Important safety information:
- Desmopressin Solution may cause dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Desmopressin Solution with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Follow the fluid intake instructions given to you by your health care provider very carefully. Serious side effects may occur if you drink too much liquid while taking Desmopressin Solution.
- Check with your doctor if you experience infection, fever, vomiting, or diarrhea. Tell your doctor if you will be exposed to very hot weather, will be physically active, or will be increasing your water intake for any reason. The risk of low blood sodium levels may be increased.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Desmopressin Solution before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Lab tests, including urine volume, blood electrolyte levels, or kidney function, may be performed while you use Desmopressin Solution. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Desmopressin Solution with caution in the ELDERLY and in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially water overload. Signs of water overload may include severe or persistent nausea or headache, vomiting, or unusual weight gain.
- Desmopressin Solution should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 12 years old if used for diabetes insipidus; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Desmopressin Solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if Desmopressin Solution is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Desmopressin Solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Desmopressin Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with Desmopressin Solution. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); burning, redness, swelling, or pain at the injection site; calf pain, tenderness, or swelling; chest pain; confusion; coughing up blood; fainting; loss of appetite; mental or mood changes (eg, agitation, irritability); muscle weakness, spasms, or cramps; nausea; one-sided numbness or weakness; personality changes; seizures; severe or persistent dizziness; slurred speech; swelling; unusual headache or restlessness; unusual tiredness or sluggishness; unusual weight gain; vision problems; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include confusion; persistent headache; sudden weight gain; trouble urinating; unusual drowsiness. Desmopressin Solution may be harmful if swallowed.Proper storage of Desmopressin Solution:
Store Desmopressin Solution in the refrigerator, between 36 and 46 degrees F (2 and 8 degrees C). Do not freeze. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep Desmopressin Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Desmopressin Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Desmopressin Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Desmopressin Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Desmopressin Prescribing Information (FDA)
- desmopressin Nasal, Oral, Injection Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- desmopressin Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- DDAVP Prescribing Information (FDA)
- DDAVP Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- DDAVP Rhinal Tube nasal Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Stimate Prescribing Information (FDA)