Detrol LA Extended-Release CapsulesGeneric Name: Tolterodine
Detrol LA Extended-Release Capsules are used for:
Treating overactive bladder with symptoms of urinary frequency, urgency, and leakage. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Detrol LA Extended-Release Capsules are an antimuscarinic agent. It works by blocking a chemical that causes contractions of the bladder.
Do NOT use Detrol LA Extended-Release Capsules if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Detrol LA Extended-Release Capsules
- you have uncontrolled narrow-angle glaucoma, trouble urinating, or have slowed emptying of your stomach
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Detrol LA Extended-Release Capsules:
Some medical conditions may interact with Detrol LA Extended-Release Capsules. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have glaucoma; a blockage of the bladder, stomach, or bowel; stomach or intestinal problems (eg, slowed moving of the bowels, constipation); spinal cord injury; dementia; liver or kidney problems; or myasthenia gravis (muscle weakness)
- if you or a family member have a history of irregular heartbeat (eg, prolonged QT), or if you have an abnormal heart function test
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Detrol LA Extended-Release Capsules. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Antiarrhythmics (eg, amiodarone, quinidine) because the risk of irregular heartbeat may be increased
- Clarithromycin, cyclosporine, erythromycin, itraconazole, ketoconazole, miconazole, or vinblastine because they may increase the risk of Detrol LA Extended-Release Capsules's side effects
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Detrol LA Extended-Release Capsules may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Detrol LA Extended-Release Capsules:
Use Detrol LA Extended-Release Capsules as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Detrol LA Extended-Release Capsules. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Take Detrol LA Extended-Release Capsules by mouth with or without food.
- Swallow Detrol LA Extended-Release Capsules whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing.
- Detrol LA Extended-Release Capsules works best if it is taken at the same time each day.
- If you miss a dose of Detrol LA Extended-Release Capsules, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Detrol LA Extended-Release Capsules.
Important safety information:
- Detrol LA Extended-Release Capsules may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Detrol LA Extended-Release Capsules with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Detrol LA Extended-Release Capsules should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- Caution is advised when using Detrol LA Extended-Release Capsules in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially an increased risk for urinary tract infection and behavior or attention problems.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Detrol LA Extended-Release Capsules while you are pregnant. It is not known if Detrol LA Extended-Release Capsules are found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Detrol LA Extended-Release Capsules.
Possible side effects of Detrol LA Extended-Release Capsules:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Blurred vision; constipation; dizziness; drowsiness; dry eyes; dry mouth; headache; indigestion; stomach pain.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); chest pain; confusion, disorientation, or memory problems; difficult or painful urination; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; severe dizziness; swelling of the hands, ankles, or feet.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include difficulty breathing; difficulty urinating; dilated pupils; excitation; fast heartbeat; hallucinations; seizures.Proper storage of Detrol LA Extended-Release Capsules:
Store Detrol LA Extended-Release Capsules at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Detrol LA Extended-Release Capsules out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Detrol LA Extended-Release Capsules, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Detrol LA Extended-Release Capsules are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Detrol LA Extended-Release Capsules. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.