DeWilt's Pain Reliever Generic Name: Magnesium Salicylate
(mag-NEE-zee-uhm sal-i-SIL-ate)Brand Name:
Examples include Doan's Pills and DeWitt's Pain Reliever
DeWilt's Pain Reliever is used for:
Treating minor backache pain. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
DeWilt's Pain Reliever is a salicylate. It works by blocking certain chemicals in the body that cause pain, inflammation, and fever.
Do NOT use DeWilt's Pain Reliever if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in DeWilt's Pain Reliever or you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, breathing difficulties, dizziness) to aspirin or an NSAID (eg, ibuprofen, naproxen, celecoxib)
- you are a child or teenager with influenza (flu) or chickenpox
- you have bleeding problems such as hemophilia, von Willebrand disease, or low blood platelets
- you are taking anticoagulants (eg, heparin, warfarin) or methotrexate
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using DeWilt's Pain Reliever :
Some medical conditions may interact with DeWilt's Pain Reliever . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have alcoholism or if you consume 3 or more alcohol-containing drinks every day
- if you have asthma, bleeding or clotting problems, diabetes, gout, arthritis, growths in the nose (nasal polyps), kidney or liver problems, stomach or peptic ulcers (bleeding ulcers), heartburn, upset stomach, stomach pain, influenza (flu) or chickenpox, or vitamin K deficiency
- if you have a history of stroke or a weakened blood vessel (cerebral aneurysm) or bleeding in the brain
- if you have Kawasaki syndrome (a rare inflammation causing heart problems in children)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with DeWilt's Pain Reliever . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Carbonic anhydrase inhibitors (eg, acetazolamide) because they may decrease DeWilt's Pain Reliever 's effectiveness
- Anticoagulants (eg, heparin, warfarin) or NSAIDs (eg, ibuprofen, celecoxib) because the risk of their side effects, including risk of bleeding, may be increased by DeWilt's Pain Reliever
- Insulin and oral antidiabetics (eg, glyburide, nateglinide) because the risk of their side effects, including abnormally low blood sugar level (eg, hunger, shakiness or weakness, dizziness, headache, sweating), may be increased by DeWilt's Pain Reliever
- Methotrexate or valproic acid because the risk of their side effects may be increased by DeWilt's Pain Reliever
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors (eg, enalapril), probenecid, or sulfinpyrazone because their effectiveness may be decreased by DeWilt's Pain Reliever
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if DeWilt's Pain Reliever may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use DeWilt's Pain Reliever :
Use DeWilt's Pain Reliever as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take DeWilt's Pain Reliever by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Take DeWilt's Pain Reliever with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL). Do not lie down for 30 minutes after taking DeWilt's Pain Reliever .
- Use DeWilt's Pain Reliever exactly as directed on the package, unless instructed differently by your doctor. If you are taking DeWilt's Pain Reliever without a prescription, follow any warnings and precautions on the label.
- If you miss a dose of DeWilt's Pain Reliever and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use DeWilt's Pain Reliever .
Important safety information:
- Talk to your doctor before you take DeWilt's Pain Reliever if you drink more than 3 drinks with alcohol per day.
- DeWilt's Pain Reliever may cause stomach bleeding. Your risk may be greater if you drink alcohol while you are using DeWilt's Pain Reliever .
- DeWilt's Pain Reliever may reduce the number of clot-forming cells (platelets) in your blood. Avoid activities that may cause bruising or injury. Tell your doctor if you have unusual bruising or bleeding. Tell your doctor if you have dark, tarry, or bloody stools.
- DeWilt's Pain Reliever has a salicylate in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has a salicylate in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- DeWilt's Pain Reliever has a salicylate in it, which has been linked to a serious illness called Reye syndrome. Do not give DeWilt's Pain Reliever to a child or teenager who has the flu, chickenpox, or a viral infection. Contact your doctor with any questions or concerns.
- If DeWilt's Pain Reliever has a strong vinegar-like smell upon opening, do not use. It means the medicine is breaking down. Throw the bottle away safely and out of the reach of children; contact your pharmacist and replace.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take DeWilt's Pain Reliever before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Do not take DeWilt's Pain Reliever for at least 7 days after any surgery unless directed by your health care provider.
- Do not take DeWilt's Pain Reliever for more than 10 days for pain or for more than 3 days for fever unless directed to do so by your health care provider.
- Different brands of DeWilt's Pain Reliever may have different dosing instructions for CHILDREN. Follow the dosing instructions on the package labeling. If your doctor has given you instructions, follow those. If you are unsure of the dose to give a child, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Do not use DeWilt's Pain Reliever during the last 3 months of pregnancy; it may cause harm to the fetus. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using DeWilt's Pain Reliever while you are pregnant. DeWilt's Pain Reliever is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use DeWilt's Pain Reliever , check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of DeWilt's Pain Reliever :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Heartburn; nausea; upset stomach.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black or bloody stools; confusion; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; hearing loss; ringing in the ears; severe stomach pain; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include agitation; fever; hearing loss; lethargy; lightheadedness, especially upon standing; nausea; rapid breathing; rapid or irregular heartbeat; ringing in the ears; seizures; shortness of breath; stomach pain; vomiting.Proper storage of DeWilt's Pain Reliever :
Store DeWilt's Pain Reliever at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep DeWilt's Pain Reliever out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about DeWilt's Pain Reliever , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- DeWilt's Pain Reliever is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about DeWilt's Pain Reliever . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.