Dexamethasone ElixirGeneric Name:
Dexamethasone (dex-a-METH-a-sone)Brand Name:
Generic only. No brands available.
Dexamethasone Elixir is used for:
Treating certain conditions associated with decreased adrenal gland function. It is also used to treat severe inflammation due to certain conditions, including severe asthma, severe allergies, rheumatoid arthritis, ulcerative colitis, certain blood disorders, lupus, multiple sclerosis, and certain eye and skin conditions. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Dexamethasone Elixir is a corticosteroid. It works by decreasing or preventing tissues from responding to inflammation. It also modifies the body's response to certain immune stimulation.
Do NOT use Dexamethasone Elixir if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Dexamethasone Elixir
- you have a systemic fungal infection
- you are taking mifepristone
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Dexamethasone Elixir:
Some medical conditions may interact with Dexamethasone Elixir. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you are scheduled for a vaccination with a live virus vaccine (eg, smallpox)
- if you have an underactive thyroid, liver or kidney problems, diabetes, or ulcerative colitis
- if you have heart problems, esophagitis, gastritis, stomach obstruction or perforation, or an ulcer
- if you have a history of mental problems (eg, depression), glaucoma, cataracts, or other eye problems
- if you have a herpes infection in your eye or any other type of infection (bacterial, fungal, or viral); have or recently had tuberculosis (TB) or tested positive for TB, measles, or chickenpox
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Dexamethasone Elixir. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Barbiturates (eg, phenobarbital), carbamazepine, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), or rifampin because they may decrease Dexamethasone Elixir's effectiveness
- Clarithromycin, azole antifungals (eg, ketoconazole), steroidal contraceptives (eg, desogestrel), or troleandomycin because because weakness, confusion, muscle aches, joint pain, or low blood sugar, may occur
- Methotrexate or ritodrine because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Dexamethasone Elixir
- Hydantoins (eg, phenytoin),mifepristone, or live vaccines because their effectiveness may be decreased by Dexamethasone Elixir
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) or aspirin because their actions and side effects may be increased or decreased by Dexamethasone Elixir
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Dexamethasone Elixir may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Dexamethasone Elixir:
Use Dexamethasone Elixir as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Dexamethasone Elixir by mouth with food.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Dexamethasone Elixir, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Dexamethasone Elixir.
Important safety information:
- Dexamethasone Elixir may lower the ability of your body to fight infection. Avoid contact with people who have colds or infections. Tell your doctor if you notice signs of infection like fever, sore throat, rash, or chills.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Dexamethasone Elixir before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Dexamethasone Elixir may cause an elevation in blood pressure, salt and water retention, and increased potassium loss. You may need to restrict the use of salt and take a calcium supplement.
- Dexamethasone Elixir can cause calcium loss and promote the development of osteoporosis. Take adequate calcium and vitamin D supplements.
- Diabetes patients - Dexamethasone Elixir may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely. Ask your doctor before you change the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Lab tests may be performed while you use Dexamethasone Elixir. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Caution is advised when using Dexamethasone Elixir in CHILDREN; because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Corticosteroids may affect growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they take Dexamethasone Elixir.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Dexamethasone Elixir can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Dexamethasone Elixir while you are pregnant. Dexamethasone Elixir is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Dexamethasone Elixir.
Possible side effects of Dexamethasone Elixir:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Difficulty sleeping; feeling of a whirling motion; increased appetite; increased sweating; indigestion; mood changes; nervousness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); appetite loss; black, tarry stools; changes in menstrual periods; convulsions; depression; diarrhea; dizziness; exaggerated sense of well-being; fever; general body discomfort; headache; increased pressure in the eye; joint or muscle pain; mood swings; muscle weakness; personality changes; prolonged sore throat, cold, or fever; puffing of the face; severe nausea or vomiting; swelling of feet or legs; unusual weight gain; vomiting material that looks like coffee grounds; weakness; weight loss.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Dexamethasone Elixir:
Store Dexamethasone Elixir at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Dexamethasone Elixir out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Dexamethasone Elixir, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Dexamethasone Elixir is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Dexamethasone Elixir. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Dexamethasone Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Dexamethasone Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- Dexamethasone Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- dexamethasone Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- dexamethasone Intraocular Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Baycadron Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Cortastat injection Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Decadron Prescribing Information (FDA)