Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin SuspensionGeneric Name:
Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin (DEX-troe-meth-OR-fan/gwye-FEN-e-sin)Brand Name:
Duratuss DM 12
Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Suspension is used for:
Temporarily relieving cough due to the common cold, upper respiratory tract infections, sinus inflammation, sore throat, or bronchitis.
Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Suspension is a combination of an expectorant (guaifenesin) and a cough suppressant (dextromethorphan). It works by loosening mucus and lung secretions in the chest and making coughs more productive.
Do NOT use Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Suspension if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Suspension
- you are taking or have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, selegiline) within the last 14 days
- you are taking a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) (eg, fluoxetine)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Suspension:
Some medical conditions may interact with Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Suspension. Tell your health care provider if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have chronic cough, chronic bronchitis, or any breathing problems such as asthma, emphysema, or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- if you have phenylketonuria
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Suspension. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- MAOIs (eg, selegiline) and SSRIs (eg, fluoxetine) because the risk of toxic side effects may be increased by Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Suspension
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Suspension may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Suspension:
Use Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Suspension as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Suspension by mouth with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Shake well before each use.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure this dose.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Suspension is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- If you miss a dose of Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Suspension and you are using it regularly, use it as soon as possible. If several hours have passed or if it is nearing time for the next dose, do not double the dose to catch up, unless advised by your health care provider. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Suspension.
Important safety information:
- Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Suspension may cause drowsiness, dizziness, blurred vision, or lightheadedness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Suspension with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- If your cough lasts for more than 1 week or comes back, or if you also have a fever, rash, or persistent headache, contact your health care provider. A persistent cough could be a sign of a serious condition.
- Some of these products contain phenylalanine. If you must have a diet that is low in phenylalanine, ask your pharmacist if it is in your product.
- Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Suspension has dextromethorphan in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has dextromethorphan in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Diabetes patients - Some brands of Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Suspension may contain sugar. This may affect your blood sugar level. Read the label carefully before using Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Suspension.
- Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Suspension should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 2 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Suspension while you are pregnant. It is not known if Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Suspension is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Suspension.
Possible side effects of Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Suspension:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dizziness; drowsiness; stomach upset.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include confusion; excitement; hallucinations; slowed breathing.Proper storage of Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Suspension:
Store Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Suspension at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Suspension out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Suspension, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Suspension is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Dextromethorphan/Guaifenesin Suspension. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.