Diarrest Generic Name: Attapulgite
Diarrest and Di-Gon II
Diarrest is used for:
Treating diarrhea and cramping. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Diarrest is an adsorbent. It works by helping your body to eliminate the bacteria causing the diarrhea.
Do NOT use Diarrest if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Diarrest
- you have a fever, or if you have blood or mucus in your stool
- you are taking a citrate salt (found in some calcium supplements, antacids, and laxatives)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Diarrest :
Some medical conditions may interact with Diarrest . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have Alzheimer disease or inflammation of the appendix (appendicitis)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Diarrest . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Penicillamine or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine) because the effectiveness of these medicines may be decreased
- Citrate salts because the risk of toxic effects from Diarrest may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Diarrest may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Diarrest :
Use Diarrest as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Diarrest may be taken with or without food.
- Swallow Diarrest whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking Diarrest is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- Take Diarrest with a full glass of water.
- Do not take Diarrest at the same time as a bisphosphonate (eg, alendronate), quinolone (eg, ciprofloxacin), or tetracycline (eg, doxycycline). Talk to your doctor or pharmacist about how to separate these medicines from your dose of Diarrest .
- If you miss a dose of Diarrest and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If several hours have passed or if it is nearing time for the next dose, do not double the dose to catch up, unless advised by your health care provider. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Diarrest .
Important safety information:
- If your symptoms do not improve within 48 hours or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your doctor before using Diarrest if you have abdominal pain, nausea, or vomiting.
- Do not use Diarrest in CHILDREN younger than 6 years of age without first consulting a doctor.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is unknown if Diarrest can cause harm to the fetus. If you become pregnant while taking Diarrest , discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Diarrest during pregnancy. It is unknown if Diarrest is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Diarrest , check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Diarrest :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Diarrest :
Store Diarrest at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Keep Diarrest out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Diarrest , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Diarrest is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Diarrest . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.