AK-Pred DropsGeneric Name: Prednisolone Sodium Phosphate
(pred-NISS-oh-lone SO-dee-uhm FOSS-fate)Brand Name:
AK-Pred and Inflamase Forte
AK-Pred Drops are used for:
Treating inflammation of the eyes and eyelids due to certain conditions. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
AK-Pred Drops are an ophthalmic corticosteroid. Exactly how AK-Pred Drops works is unknown.
Do NOT use AK-Pred Drops if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in AK-Pred Drops
- you have certain eye infections (eg, herpes, tuberculosis, fungal, or viral infections), chickenpox, or an infection due to smallpox vaccination (vaccinia)
- you have had a foreign body removed from the outer portion of your eye
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using AK-Pred Drops:
Some medical conditions may interact with AK-Pred Drops. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have diabetes, glaucoma, optic nerve damage, or thinning of the cornea or other eye tissues
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with AK-Pred Drops. Because little, if any, of AK-Pred Drops are absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if AK-Pred Drops may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use AK-Pred Drops:
Use AK-Pred Drops as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- If your doctor prescribed more than 1 eye medicine, find out the best order for using each medicine.
- Ask your doctor how to use your contact lenses while using AK-Pred Drops.
- To use AK-Pred Drops in the eye, first, wash your hands. Tilt your head back. Using your index finger, pull the lower eyelid away from the eye to form a pouch. Drop the medicine into the pouch and gently close your eyes. Immediately use your finger to apply pressure to the inside corner of the eyelid for 1 to 2 minutes. Do not blink. Remove excess medicine around your eye with a clean, dry tissue, being careful not to touch your eye. Wash your hands to remove any medicine that may be on them.
- To prevent germs from contaminating your medicine, do not touch the applicator tip to any surface, including the eye. Keep the container tightly closed.
- If you miss a dose of AK-Pred Drops, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use AK-Pred Drops.
Important safety information:
- AK-Pred Drops may cause blurred vision. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use AK-Pred Drops with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use for future eye problems without checking with your doctor.
- Lab tests, including eye exams, may be performed while you use AK-Pred Drops. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using AK-Pred Drops while you are pregnant. It is not known if AK-Pred Drops are found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use AK-Pred Drops, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of AK-Pred Drops:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); changes in vision; continued or worsening itching, swelling, or irritation; continuing blurred vision; discharge from eye; eye pain; severe or continued stinging or burning.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of AK-Pred Drops:
Store AK-Pred Drops at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep AK-Pred Drops out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about AK-Pred Drops, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- AK-Pred Drops are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about AK-Pred Drops. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- AK-Pred Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Econopred Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Econopred Plus Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Omnipred Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Pred Forte Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Pred Forte Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)