Dilaudid LiquidGeneric Name: Hydromorphone
Dilaudid Liquid is used for:
Treating pain in certain patients.
Dilaudid Liquid is an opioid (narcotic) analgesic. It works by binding to certain receptors in the brain and nervous system to reduce pain.
Do NOT use Dilaudid Liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Dilaudid Liquid or any other codeine- or morphine-related medicine (eg, morphine, codeine, oxycodone)
- you have difficult or slowed breathing, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or right-sided heart problems (cor pulmonale), or you are having a severe asthma attack
- you are in labor
- you have severe diarrhea or other bowel problems caused by antibiotics or poisoning
- you have a brain injury or growths in the brain along with increased pressure in the brain
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Dilaudid Liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Dilaudid Liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of lung or breathing problems (eg, asthma, emphysema, bronchitis), seizures (eg, epilepsy), adrenal gland problems, an enlarged prostate, heart problems, low blood pressure, dehydration, low blood volume, an underactive thyroid, or urinary blockage
- if you have severe drowsiness, a recent head injury, spinal problems, growths in the brain, or increased pressure in the brain
- if you have liver or kidney problems, gallbladder problems, or stomach or bowel problems (eg, inflammation), or if you have had recent stomach or bowel surgery
- if you drink alcohol regularly, have symptoms of alcohol withdrawal, or have a history of suicidal thoughts or attempts
- if you have a personal or family history of mental or mood problems, alcohol abuse, or other substance abuse or dependence
- if you are in poor health or shock, or will be having surgery
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Dilaudid Liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Phenothiazines (eg, chlorpromazine) because the risk of low blood pressure may be increased
- Barbiturate anesthetics (eg, thiopental), cimetidine, or sodium oxybate (GHB) because the risk of severe drowsiness, coma, or slowed or difficult breathing may be increased
- Agonist/antagonist analgesics (eg, pentazocine) or naltrexone because they may decrease Dilaudid Liquid's effectiveness and withdrawal may occur
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Dilaudid Liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Dilaudid Liquid:
Use Dilaudid Liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Dilaudid Liquid may be taken with or without food. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you are taking Dilaudid Liquid for persistent pain, take it on a regular schedule to help control the pain more effectively.
- Do not change your dose or suddenly stop taking Dilaudid Liquid without checking with your doctor.
- If Dilaudid Liquid is no longer needed, dispose of it as soon as possible. Ask your doctor or pharmacist how to dispose of Dilaudid Liquid properly.
- If you miss a dose of Dilaudid Liquid and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If several hours have passed or if it is nearing time for the next dose, do not double the dose to catch up, unless advised by your health care provider. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Dilaudid Liquid.
Important safety information:
- Dilaudid Liquid may cause drowsiness, dizziness, blurred vision, or lightheadedness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol, other opiate pain medicines, or certain other medicines. Use Dilaudid Liquid with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you take Dilaudid Liquid; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Dilaudid Liquid may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting; alcohol, hot weather, exercise, or fever may increase these effects. To prevent them, sit up or stand slowly, especially in the morning. Sit or lie down at the first sign of any of these effects.
- Dilaudid Liquid may be habit-forming. Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor. Misuse or abuse of Dilaudid Liquid may cause severe side effects, including severe breathing problems, seizures, coma, and possibly death.
- Some of these products contain sulfites. Sulfites may cause an allergic reaction in some patients (eg, asthma patients). If you have ever had an allergic reaction to sulfites, ask your pharmacist if this product has sulfites in it.
- Constipation is a common side effect of Dilaudid Liquid. Talk to your doctor about using laxatives or stool softeners to prevent or treat constipation while you use Dilaudid Liquid.
- If your pain continues or becomes worse or if you have side effects that concern you, contact your doctor.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Dilaudid Liquid before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Use Dilaudid Liquid with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially drowsiness and breathing problems.
- Dilaudid Liquid should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Dilaudid Liquid may cause harm to the fetus. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Dilaudid Liquid while you are pregnant. Dilaudid Liquid is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Dilaudid Liquid.
When used for long periods of time or at high doses, Dilaudid Liquid may not work as well and may require higher doses to obtain the same effect as when originally taken. This is known as TOLERANCE. Talk with your doctor if Dilaudid Liquid stops working well. Do not take more than prescribed.
Some people who use Dilaudid Liquid for a long time may develop a need to continue taking it. People who take high doses are also at risk. This is known as DEPENDENCE or addiction. Dependence is unlikely to be an issue in terminally ill patients where comfort is more important. If you are taking Dilaudid Liquid regularly, do not suddenly stop taking it without checking with your doctor. WITHDRAWAL symptoms have occurred when Dilaudid Liquid is suddenly stopped and may include anxiety; diarrhea; fever, runny nose, or sneezing; goose bumps and abnormal skin sensations; nausea and vomiting; pain; rigid muscles; seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there; shivering or tremors; sweating; and trouble sleeping. Contact your doctor if you notice any of these symptoms after stopping Dilaudid Liquid.
Possible side effects of Dilaudid Liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; flushing; lightheadedness; nausea; sweating; vomiting.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); fainting; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; mental or mood changes; seizure; severe or persistent dizziness or drowsiness; severe or persistent headache or vomiting; shallow, slowed, or difficult breathing; tremor; trouble urinating; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center ( http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include bluish skin; chest pain; cold and clammy skin; coma; difficult or slow breathing; excessive sweating; limp muscles; nausea and vomiting; numbness of an arm or leg; pinpoint pupils; seizures; severe drowsiness or dizziness; slow or irregular heartbeat.Proper storage of Dilaudid Liquid:
Store Dilaudid Liquid at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Do not store Dilaudid Liquid in the bathroom. Keep Dilaudid Liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Dilaudid Liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Dilaudid Liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Dilaudid Liquid. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Dilaudid Consumer Overview
- Dilaudid Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Dilaudid Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Hydromorphone Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Dilaudid-HP Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Palladone Prescribing Information (FDA)