Ala-Seb-T ShampooGeneric Name: Coal Tar/Salicylic Acid/Sulfur
(kole tar/SAL-i-SIL-ik AS-id/SUL-fur)Brand Name:
Ala-Seb-T Shampoo is used for:
Relieving itching, flaking, irritation, redness, and scaling caused by dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis, and psoriasis of the scalp. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Ala-Seb-T Shampoo is a topical coal tar, salicylate, and sulfur combination. It works by causing the skin to swell, soften, and then slough or peel in areas where it is applied.
Do NOT use Ala-Seb-T Shampoo if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Ala-Seb-T Shampoo
- you are using prescription medicine or other treatments for psoriasis (eg, ultraviolet radiation therapy), unless instructed by your doctor
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Ala-Seb-T Shampoo:
Some medical conditions may interact with Ala-Seb-T Shampoo. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to aspirin or a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) (eg, ibuprofen, naproxen, celecoxib)
- if you have liver or kidney problems, a skin infection, skin irritation, eczema, diabetes, or poor blood circulation
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Ala-Seb-T Shampoo. Because little, if any, of Ala-Seb-T Shampoo is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Ala-Seb-T Shampoo may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Ala-Seb-T Shampoo:
Use Ala-Seb-T Shampoo as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Shake well before each use.
- Wet hair and shampoo for a full 5 minutes. Rinse well and repeat. Be sure to wash your hands after each use.
- If you miss a dose of Ala-Seb-T Shampoo, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ala-Seb-T Shampoo.
Important safety information:
- Ala-Seb-T Shampoo is for external use only. Avoid getting Ala-Seb-T Shampoo in your eyes, nose, or mouth, or on the genitals. If contact with your eyes occurs, flush with water for 15 minutes. Do not inhale the vapors of Ala-Seb-T Shampoo.
- Overuse of topical products may worsen your condition.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed or on the package label without checking with your doctor.
- Check with your doctor before use if you have a condition that covers a large area of the body.
- Be sure to apply Ala-Seb-T Shampoo only to the affected area and not to normal healthy skin.
- Do not use Ala-Seb-T Shampoo on skin that is irritated, infected, or reddened.
- Do not use Ala-Seb-T Shampoo on open skin wounds, moles, birthmarks, genital warts, warts on the face, or warts growing hair.
- Do not use any other medicines or drying products on your skin unless your doctor instructs you otherwise.
- Ala-Seb-T Shampoo may cause increased sensitivity to the sun. Avoid exposure to the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Ala-Seb-T Shampoo. Use a sunscreen or protective clothing if you must be outside for a prolonged period.
- Ala-Seb-T Shampoo contains a salicylate, which has been linked to Reye syndrome. Do not use Ala-Seb-T Shampoo on children or teenagers during or after chickenpox, flu, or other viral infections without checking with your doctor or pharmacist.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Ala-Seb-T Shampoo during pregnancy. It is not known if Ala-Seb-T Shampoo is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while you are using Ala-Seb-T Shampoo.
Possible side effects of Ala-Seb-T Shampoo:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dry, peeling, red, or scaling skin.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); severe irritation.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include agitation; diarrhea; dizziness; loss of appetite; loss of hearing; mental disturbances; nausea; rapid or difficult breathing; ringing in the ears; seizures; sluggishness; vomiting; yellowing of the skin or eyes.Proper storage of Ala-Seb-T Shampoo:
Store Ala-Seb-T Shampoo at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not freeze. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Ala-Seb-T Shampoo out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Ala-Seb-T Shampoo, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ala-Seb-T Shampoo is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Ala-Seb-T Shampoo. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.