Donepezil Generic Name:
Donepezil (doe-NEP-e-zil)Brand Name:
Donepezil is used for:
Treating dementia (eg, impairment of memory, judgment, and abstract thinking; changes in personality) in patients with Alzheimer disease.
Donepezil is a cholinesterase inhibitor. It works by increasing the amount of a certain substance (acetylcholine) in the brain, which may help reduce the symptoms of dementia in patients with Alzheimer disease.
Do NOT use Donepezil if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Donepezil
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Donepezil :
Some medical conditions may interact with Donepezil . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of certain heart problems (eg, slow or irregular heartbeat, sick sinus syndrome), stomach or bowel problems (eg, ulcer, blockage), lung or breathing problems (eg, asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease [COPD]), or urinary blockage
- if you have brain lesions or tumors, increased pressure in the brain, recent head injury, or a history of seizures (eg, epilepsy)
- if you have Parkinson disease or metabolism problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Donepezil . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (eg, ibuprofen) because the risk of stomach or bowel bleeding may be increased
- Cholinergic agents (eg, bethanechol), cholinesterase inhibitors (eg, galantamine), or ketoconazole because they may increase the risk of Donepezil 's side effects
- Carbamazepine, dexamethasone, phenobarbital, phenytoin, or rifampin because they may decrease Donepezil 's effectiveness
- Anticholinergics (eg, scopolamine) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Donepezil
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Donepezil may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Donepezil :
Use Donepezil as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Donepezil by mouth in the evening right before bed, unless your doctor tells you otherwise. Take Donepezil with or without food.
- Take Donepezil on a regular schedule to get the most benefit from it.
- Taking Donepezil at the same time each day will help you remember to take it.
- Continue to take Donepezil even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Donepezil , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once. Contact your doctor if you miss several doses of Donepezil . You may need to restart your medicine at a lower dose to avoid side effects.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Donepezil .
Important safety information:
- Donepezil may cause drowsiness, dizziness, or fainting. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Donepezil with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not take more than the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Donepezil before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Donepezil is not approved for use in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Donepezil while you are pregnant. It is not known if Donepezil is found in breast milk. Donepezil is not approved for use in women who may be breast-feeding.
Possible side effects of Donepezil :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Abnormal dreams; diarrhea; dizziness; loss of appetite; muscle cramps; nausea; tiredness; trouble sleeping; vomiting; weight loss.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody or black, tarry stools; chest pain; decreased urination; depression; fainting; fever; seizures; severe dizziness or headache; shortness of breath; slow or irregular heartbeat; swelling of the hands, ankles, or feet; unusual bruising; tremor.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include fainting; increased sweating or saliva production; loss of consciousness; muscle weakness; seizures; severe dizziness; severe nausea or vomiting; slow heartbeat; slow or shallow breathing.Proper storage of Donepezil :
Store Donepezil at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Donepezil out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Donepezil , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Donepezil is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Donepezil . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Donepezil Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- Donepezil Prescribing Information (FDA)
- donepezil Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Aricept Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Aricept Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Aricept Consumer Overview