Doripenem Generic Name:
Doripenem (DOR-i-PEN-em)Brand Name:
Doripenem is used for:
Treating infections caused by certain bacteria.
Doripenem is a carbapenem antibiotic. It works by killing sensitive bacteria.
Do NOT use Doripenem if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Doripenem or to any other carbapenen or beta-lactam antibiotic (eg, meropenem)
- you are taking probenecid
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Doripenem :
Some medical conditions may interact with Doripenem . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to a penicillin antibiotic (eg, amoxicillin) or a cephalosporin antibiotic (eg, cephalexin)
- if you have a history of seizures
- if you have kidney problems or are on dialysis
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Doripenem . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Probenecid because it may increase the risk of Doripenem 's side effects
- Valproic acid because its effectiveness may be decreased by Doripenem
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Doripenem may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Doripenem :
Use Doripenem as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Doripenem is usually administered as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. If you are using Doripenem at home, carefully follow the injection procedures taught to you by your health care provider.
- Do not use Doripenem if it contains particles, is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- To clear up your infection completely, use Doripenem for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Ask your health care provider how to dispose of these materials after use. Follow all local rules for disposal.
- If you miss a dose of Doripenem , use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Doripenem .
Important safety information:
- Doripenem only works against bacteria; it does not treat viral infections (eg, the common cold).
- Be sure to use Doripenem for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Long-term or repeated use of Doripenem may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- If severe diarrhea or stomach pain or cramping develop during treatment or within several months after treatment with Doripenem , check with your doctor or pharmacist right away. Do not treat it with nonprescription (over-the-counter) medicines.
- Mild diarrhea is common with antibiotic use. However, a more serious form of diarrhea (pseudomembranous colitis) may rarely occur. This may develop while you use the antibiotic or within several months after you stop using it. Contact your doctor right away if stomach pain or cramps, severe diarrhea, or bloody stools occur. Do not treat diarrhea without first checking with your doctor.
- Use Doripenem with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Doripenem should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Doripenem while you are pregnant. It is not known if Doripenem is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are taking Doripenem , check with your doctor. You will need to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Doripenem :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Headache; mild diarrhea; nausea.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bloody stools; chest pain; pain, swelling, or redness at the injection site; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; seizures; severe diarrhea; severe stomach cramps or pain; shortness of breath; unusual tiredness or weakness; unusual vaginal odor, itching, or discharge.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Doripenem :
Doripenem is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using Doripenem at home, store Doripenem as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep Doripenem out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Doripenem , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Doripenem is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Doripenem . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Doripenem Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- doripenem Intravenous Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Doribax Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Doribax Consumer Overview