Doxylamine Chewable TabletsGeneric Name:
Doxylamine (dox-IL-a-meen)Brand Name:
Aldex AN Chewable
Doxylamine Chewable Tablets are used for:
Preventing or treating symptoms of hay fever or other allergies such as runny nose, sneezing, itching of the nose and throat, and itchy, watery eyes.
Doxylamine Chewable Tablets are an antihistamine. It works by blocking the action of histamine, which reduces the symptoms of an allergic reaction.
Do NOT use Doxylamine Chewable Tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Doxylamine Chewable Tablets
- you are taking sodium oxybate (GHB)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Doxylamine Chewable Tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with Doxylamine Chewable Tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have lung or breathing problems such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), chronic bronchitis, emphysema, lung disease, shortness of breath, or sleep apnea
- if you have glaucoma or increased pressure in the eye; a blockage of the stomach, intestine, or bladder; an enlarged prostate gland; or difficulty urinating
- if you are taking a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) (eg, phenelzine)
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Doxylamine Chewable Tablets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Sodium oxybate (GHB) because severe breathing problems may occur
- MAOIs (eg, phenelzine) because they may increase the risk of Doxylamine Chewable Tablets's side effects
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Doxylamine Chewable Tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Doxylamine Chewable Tablets:
Use Doxylamine Chewable Tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Doxylamine Chewable Tablets by mouth with or without food.
- Chew thoroughly before swallowing.
- Use Doxylamine Chewable Tablets exactly as directed on the package, unless instructed differently by your doctor. If you are taking Doxylamine Chewable Tablets without a prescription, follow any warnings and precautions on the label.
- If you miss a dose of Doxylamine Chewable Tablets and you are taking it regularly, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Doxylamine Chewable Tablets.
Important safety information:
- Doxylamine Chewable Tablets may cause drowsiness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Doxylamine Chewable Tablets with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Do not drink alcohol or use medicines that may cause drowsiness (eg, sleep aids, muscle relaxers) while you are using Doxylamine Chewable Tablets; it may add to their effects. Ask your pharmacist if you have questions about which medicines may cause drowsiness.
- Doxylamine Chewable Tablets has doxylamine in it. Before you start any new medicine, check the label to see if it has doxylamine in it too. If it does or if you are not sure, check with your doctor or pharmacist.
- If your symptoms persist for more than 1 week or if you develop a fever, contact your health care provider.
- Use Doxylamine Chewable Tablets with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using Doxylamine Chewable Tablets in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially excitability.
- Doxylamine Chewable Tablets should not be used in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old without checking with the child's doctor.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Doxylamine Chewable Tablets while you are pregnant. It is not known if Doxylamine Chewable Tablets are found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Doxylamine Chewable Tablets, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Doxylamine Chewable Tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Drowsiness; dry mouth, throat, and nose; thickening of mucus in nose or throat.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); excitability; severe drowsiness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Doxylamine Chewable Tablets:
Store Doxylamine Chewable Tablets at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Store in the original package or container. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Doxylamine Chewable Tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Doxylamine Chewable Tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Doxylamine Chewable Tablets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Doxylamine Chewable Tablets. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- doxylamine Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)