Dritho-Scalp CreamGeneric Name: Anthralin
Examples include Dritho-Scalp and Psoriatec
Dritho-Scalp Cream is used for:
Dritho-Scalp Cream is a topical antimitotic. It works by slowing the reproduction of skin cells.
Do NOT use Dritho-Scalp Cream if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Dritho-Scalp Cream
- you have active inflamed psoriatic eruptions
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Dritho-Scalp Cream:
Some medical conditions may interact with Dritho-Scalp Cream. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have inflamed psoriatic eruptions, folliculitis, other skin problems, or kidney disease
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Dritho-Scalp Cream. Because little, if any, of Dritho-Scalp Cream is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Dritho-Scalp Cream may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Dritho-Scalp Cream:
Use Dritho-Scalp Cream as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Dritho-Scalp Cream is for external use only. Avoid contact with the eyes, nose, and mouth. Do not apply to folds or creases of the skin.
- Wash and completely dry the affected area. Apply a small amount onto the lesions and rub it in gently and carefully.
- At the end of each skin treatment period, rinse the skin completely with cool to lukewarm water before washing it with soap. The margins of lesions may gradually become stained (purple/brown) as you continue to use Dritho-Scalp Cream, but the staining will disappear after your treatment is finished.
- For scalp treatment, wash your hair before applying Dritho-Scalp Cream. Rinse your hair with water, and comb it to remove scaling. Apply Dritho-Scalp Cream while your scalp is still damp. Rub the medicine into the lesions well. Do not apply Dritho-Scalp Cream to areas where there are no lesions.
- Remove any medicine that may be behind the ears.
- At the end of each scalp treatment period, rinse your hair and scalp completely with cool to lukewarm water. Shampoo your hair and scalp to remove any additional cream (which may have become red/brown).
- Wash your hands immediately after using Dritho-Scalp Cream, unless your hands are part of the treated area.
- If excessive soreness or spreading of lesions occurs after using Dritho-Scalp Cream, contact your health care provider.
- If you miss a dose of Dritho-Scalp Cream, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Dritho-Scalp Cream.
Important safety information:
- Dritho-Scalp Cream may be harmful if swallowed. If you may have taken Dritho-Scalp Cream by mouth, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately.
- Dritho-Scalp Cream may stain skin or hair. Temporary discoloration of hair and fingernails may occur while using Dritho-Scalp Cream, but can be minimized by carefully applying the medicine.
- To prevent discoloration of the tub or shower, always rinse the tub or shower with lukewarm water right after washing or showering. Use a cleanser to remove any deposit on the surface of the tub or shower.
- Use protective dressings while using Dritho-Scalp Cream to prevent staining of clothing and bed sheets unless instructed otherwise by your doctor. Staining of fabric may be permanent.
- Contact with plastics and other materials may cause staining and should be avoided.
- Use Dritho-Scalp Cream with extreme caution in CHILDREN. Safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Dritho-Scalp Cream, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Dritho-Scalp Cream during pregnancy. It is unknown if Dritho-Scalp Cream is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Dritho-Scalp Cream.
Possible side effects of Dritho-Scalp Cream:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Irritation; staining of treated areas.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); severe skin soreness; spreading of lesions.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Dritho-Scalp Cream:
Store Dritho-Scalp Cream at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Dritho-Scalp Cream out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Dritho-Scalp Cream, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Dritho-Scalp Cream is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Dritho-Scalp Cream. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Dritho-Scalp Topical Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information