Duet DHA Generic Name: Prenatal Multivitamins and Minerals with Iron, Folic Acid, and Omega-3 Fatty Acids
(pree-NATE-al VYE-ta-mins)Brand Name:
Examples include CareNatal DHA and Duet DHA
Accidental overdose of products that contain iron is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years old. Keep this and all medicines out of the reach of children. In case of accidental ingestion, call the poison control center or doctor at once.
Duet DHA is used for:
Treating or preventing a lack of vitamins or minerals before, during, and after pregnancy and while breast-feeding. It may also be used for treating and preventing certain conditions as determined by your doctor.
Duet DHA is a vitamin and mineral combination. It provides vitamins and minerals to the body to help meet nutritional requirements.
Do NOT use Duet DHA if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Duet DHA , including fish or fish oil
- you have hemochromatosis (a disorder of iron metabolism) or Wilson disease (a disorder of copper metabolism)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Duet DHA :
Some medical conditions may interact with Duet DHA . Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances (including corn or fish)
- if you have stomach or intestinal problems (eg, colitis, Crohn disease, diverticulitis), blood problems (eg, anemia, porphyria cutanea tarda, thalassemia), bleeding problems (eg, hemophilia), or peptic ulcer
- if you have had multiple blood transfusions
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Duet DHA . Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Cation exchange resins (eg, sodium polystyrene sulfonate) because side effects, including increased risk of muscle twitches and tremors, nausea, vomiting, numbness in face or extremities, and confusion possibly leading to coma, may be increased by Duet DHA
- Acitretin or fluorouracil because actions and side effects may be increased by Duet DHA
- Hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), levodopa, mycophenolate, or penicillamine because their effectiveness may be decreased by Duet DHA .
- Oral anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of bleeding may be increased by Duet DHA
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Duet DHA may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Duet DHA :
Use Duet DHA as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Check with your doctor or pharmacist to see if you should take Duet DHA with food or on an empty stomach. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Take Duet DHA by mouth with a full glass of water.
- Avoid taking Duet DHA with dairy products; they may interfere with the absorption of the iron in Duet DHA .
- Many medicines (eg, used for infection, blood pressure, immune system suppression, osteoporosis, thyroid problems) should not be taken at the same time as Duet DHA ; their effectiveness may be decreased. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if your dose of Duet DHA should be separated from your dose of any of your other medicines.
- If you miss a dose of Duet DHA , take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Duet DHA .
Important safety information:
- While you are taking Duet DHA you may notice darkening of stools. This is normal.
- Duet DHA contains iron. Accidental overdose of iron-containing products is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years of age. Keep this product out of the reach of children. In case of accidental overdose, call a doctor or poison control center immediately.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Duet DHA is intended for use during pregnancy. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Duet DHA , check with your doctor.
Possible side effects of Duet DHA :
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; darkened or green stools; diarrhea; nausea; stomach upset; vomiting.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; blood or streaks of blood in the stools; stomach pain or cramping.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include black, tarry stools; chest pain; lack of feeling alert; loss of balance; seizure; severe nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or stomach pain; shortness of breath; sluggishness; trouble breathing; unusual tiredness or weakness; unusually pale skin; weak pulse.Proper storage of Duet DHA :
Store Duet DHA at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Duet DHA out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Duet DHA , please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Duet DHA is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Duet DHA . If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Duet DHA Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Advanced Natalcare Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Prenate Elite tablets
- PrimaCare ONE capsules