Duofilm SolutionGeneric Name: Salicylic Acid
(sal-ih-SILL-ik AS-id)Brand Name:
Examples include Dr. Scholl's Corn/Callous Remover and Duofilm
Duofilm Solution is used for:
Removing corns, calluses, and warts. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Duofilm Solution is a topical salicylate. It works by causing the skin to swell, soften, and then slough or peel in areas where it is applied.
Do NOT use Duofilm Solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Duofilm Solution
- you have diabetes or poor blood circulation
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Duofilm Solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Duofilm Solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have had a severe allergic reaction (eg, severe rash, hives, difficulty breathing, dizziness) to aspirin or a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) (eg, ibuprofen, naproxen, celecoxib)
- if you have liver or kidney problems, a skin infection, or skin irritation
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Duofilm Solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants, (eg, heparin, warfarin), aspirin, methotrexate, or sulfonylureas (eg, glipizide) because the risk of side effects may be increased by Duofilm Solution
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Duofilm Solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Duofilm Solution:
Use Duofilm Solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- First soak the affected area in warm water for about 5 minutes. Dry thoroughly. Apply 1 drop at a time to sufficiently cover each affected area. Let dry.
- Cover the area with a small adhesive bandage or dressing (if practical) unless your doctor has instructed you not to. Unless your hands are being treated, be sure to wash your hands after each application.
- If you miss a dose of Duofilm Solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Duofilm Solution.
Important safety information:
- Duofilm Solution is for external use only. Avoid getting Duofilm Solution in your eyes, nose, or mouth, or on the genitals. If contact with your eyes occurs, flush with water for 15 minutes. Do not inhale the vapors of Duofilm Solution.
- Do not use Duofilm Solution longer or more often than recommended by your doctor or on the package label.
- Check with your doctor before use if you have a condition that covers a large area of the body.
- Be sure to apply Duofilm Solution only to the affected area and not to normal healthy skin.
- Do not use Duofilm Solution on skin that is irritated, infected, or reddened.
- Do not use Duofilm Solution on open skin wounds, moles, birthmarks, genital warts, warts on the face, or warts growing hair.
- Do not use any other medicines or drying products on your skin unless your doctor instructs you otherwise.
- Duofilm Solution may interfere with certain lab test results. Make sure your doctor and lab personnel know you are using Duofilm Solution.
- Duofilm Solution is extremely flammable. Do not store or use Duofilm Solution near a fire or other open flame.
- Duofilm Solution may be harmful if swallowed. If you may have taken Duofilm Solution by mouth, contact your local poison control center or emergency room immediately.
- Duofilm Solution contains a salicylate, which has been linked to Reye syndrome. Do not use Duofilm Solution on children or teenagers during or after chickenpox, flu, or other viral infections without checking with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Caution is advised when using Duofilm Solution in CHILDREN because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Duofilm Solution during pregnancy. It is unknown if Duofilm Solution is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Duofilm Solution, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Duofilm Solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Dry, peeling, red, or scaling skin.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); severe irritation.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include agitation; diarrhea; dizziness; loss of appetite; loss of hearing; mental disturbances; nausea; rapid or difficult breathing; ringing in the ears; seizures; sluggishness; vomiting; yellowing of the skin or eyes.Proper storage of Duofilm Solution:
Store Duofilm Solution at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not freeze. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Duofilm Solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Duofilm Solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Duofilm Solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Duofilm Solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Duofilm Concise Consumer Information (Cerner Multum)
- Duofilm Topical Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information