Generic Name: chlorhexidine topical (klor HEX ih deen TAH pih kal)Brand Names: Betasept, Calgon Vesta, Dyna-Hex, Hibiclens, Hibistat, Spectrum-4
What is Dyna-Hex (chlorhexidine topical)?
Chlorhexidine topical is an antiseptic. Chlorhexidine topical destroys germs on the skin.
Chlorhexidine topical is used to clean the skin before surgery to reduce the risk of infection. Chlorhexidine topical may also be used to treat acne.
Chlorhexidine topical may also be used for purposes other than those listed here.
What is the most important information I should know about Dyna-Hex (chlorhexidine topical)?Do not take this medication my mouth. It is intended for topical application on the skin. Do not use other topical products on the skin after using chlorhexidine topical unless otherwise directed by your healthcare provider.What should I discuss with my health are provider before using Dyna-Hex (chlorhexidine topical)?
Before using chlorhexidine topical, tell your doctor if you have any other medical conditions, especially skin problems or allergies. You may not be able to use chlorhexidine topical or you may require special monitoring.
Do not use chlorhexidine topical without first talking to your doctor if you pregnant or could become pregnant during treatment. Do not use chlorhexidine topical without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
How should I use Dyna-Hex (chlorhexidine topical)?
Use chlorhexidine topical exactly as directed by your healthcare provider or as directed on the package. If you do not understand these instructions, ask your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist to explain them to you.
Apply chlorhexidine topical to the skin as directed. You may be directed to rinse the skin after application of chlorhexidine topical.
Do not take this medication my mouth. It is intended for topical application on the skin. Avoid getting this medication in the eyes, ears, nose, or mouth. Store chlorhexidine topical at room temperature away from moisture and heat.
What happens if I miss a dose?
Use the missed dose as soon as you remember. Do not use a double dose of this product.
What happens if I overdose?
Seek emergency medical attention if chlorhexidine topical is ingested.
Symptoms of a chlorhexidine topical overdose are not known.
What should I avoid while using Dyna-Hex (chlorhexidine topical)?
Avoid getting this medication in the eyes, ears, nose, or mouth. Do not use other topical products on the skin after using chlorhexidine topical unless otherwise directed by your healthcare provider.
Dyna-Hex (chlorhexidine topical) side effects
If you experience a rare but serious allergic reaction (shortness of breath; closing of the throat; swelling of the lips, face, or tongue; hives; or a rash), stop using chlorhexidine topical and seek emergency medical attention or contact your doctor immediately.
Occasionally, mild skin irritation may occur. Continue to use chlorhexidine topical and talk to your doctor if you experience skin irritation.
Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
What other drugs will affect Dyna-Hex (chlorhexidine topical)?
Do not use other topical products on the skin after using chlorhexidine topical unless otherwise directed by your healthcare provider.
Drugs other than those listed here may also interact with chlorhexidine topical. Talk to your doctor and pharmacist before using other topical prescription or over-the-counter medicines, including vitamins, minerals, and herbal products.
Where can I get more information?
- Your pharmacist has additional information about chlorhexidine topical written for health professionals that you may read.
- Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indication prescribed.
- Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Cerner Multum, Inc. ('Multum') is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. Drug information contained herein may be time sensitive. Multum information has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners and consumers in the United States and therefore Multum does not warrant that uses outside of the United States are appropriate, unless specifically indicated otherwise. Multum's drug information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy. Multum's drug information is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective or appropriate for any given patient. Multum does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
Copyright 1996-2006 Cerner Multum, Inc. Version: 1.03. Revision Date: 4/12/2009 4:39:20 PM.
- Dyna-Hex Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Betasept Liquid MedFacts Consumer Leaflet (Wolters Kluwer)
- Peridex Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Peridex Detailed Consumer Information (PDR)
- Peridex Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- Peridex Solution MedFacts Consumer Leaflet (Wolters Kluwer)
- PerioGard Prescribing Information (FDA)