Dyphylline/Guaifenesin LiquidGeneric Name:
Dyphylline/Guaifenesin (DYE-fi-lin/gwye-FEN-e-sin)Brand Name:
Examples include Dilex-G and Lufyllin-GG
Dyphylline/Guaifenesin Liquid is used for:
Relieving breathing problems caused by bronchial asthma, chronic bronchitis, or emphysema.
Dyphylline/Guaifenesin Liquid is a bronchodilator and expectorant combination. It works by widening the air passages and making it easier to breathe, and by thinning the mucus for a more productive cough.
Do NOT use Dyphylline/Guaifenesin Liquid if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Dyphylline/Guaifenesin Liquid
- you are taking intravenous (IV) dipyridamole or halothane
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Dyphylline/Guaifenesin Liquid:
Some medical conditions may interact with Dyphylline/Guaifenesin Liquid. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have severe heart disease or heart damage, high blood pressure, epilepsy, kidney disease, thyroid problems, or ulcers
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Dyphylline/Guaifenesin Liquid. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol) because the effectiveness of Dyphylline/Guaifenesin Liquid may be decreased
- Ephedrine, halothane, mexiletine, probenecid, sympathomimetics (eg, albuterol), tacrine, xanthines (eg, theophylline), or zileuton because side effects and toxic effects of Dyphylline/Guaifenesin Liquid may be increased
- Adenosine, IV dipyridamole, lithium, or nondepolarizing muscle relaxants (eg, pancuronium) because the effectiveness of these medicines may be decreased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Dyphylline/Guaifenesin Liquid may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Dyphylline/Guaifenesin Liquid:
Use Dyphylline/Guaifenesin Liquid as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Dyphylline/Guaifenesin Liquid may be taken with or without food. Taking it after eating may help to decrease stomach upset.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- Drinking extra fluids while you are taking Dyphylline/Guaifenesin Liquid is recommended. Check with your doctor for instructions.
- If you miss a dose of Dyphylline/Guaifenesin Liquid, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Dyphylline/Guaifenesin Liquid.
Important safety information:
- Do not exceed the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- Avoid large amounts of caffeine-containing foods and beverages, such as coffee, tea, cocoa, cola drinks, and chocolate.
- Before you have any medical or dental treatments, emergency care, or surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are using Dyphylline/Guaifenesin Liquid.
- Dyphylline/Guaifenesin Liquid may interfere with certain lab tests. Make sure your doctor and lab personnel know that you are taking Dyphylline/Guaifenesin Liquid.
- Dyphylline/Guaifenesin Liquid is not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 6 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- Caution is advised when using Dyphylline/Guaifenesin Liquid in CHILDREN 6 years of age and older because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you plan on becoming pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Dyphylline/Guaifenesin Liquid during pregnancy. Dyphylline/Guaifenesin Liquid is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast feeding while you are using Dyphylline/Guaifenesin Liquid, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Dyphylline/Guaifenesin Liquid:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Headache; nausea; upset stomach.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blood in the urine; bloody vomit; diarrhea; dizziness; excitability; fast breathing; fast/irregular heartbeat; flushing; increased thirst or urination; irritability; muscle twitching; pounding in the chest; restlessness; seizures; stomach pain; trouble sleeping; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org ), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include agitation; chest pain; dehydration; excessive sweating; excessive thirst; fever or chills; irregular heartbeat; loss of appetite; ringing in the ears; seizures; severe vomiting.Proper storage of Dyphylline/Guaifenesin Liquid:
Store Dyphylline/Guaifenesin Liquid at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Dyphylline/Guaifenesin Liquid out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Dyphylline/Guaifenesin Liquid, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Dyphylline/Guaifenesin Liquid is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Dyphylline/Guaifenesin Liquid. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.