ED DM Chewable TabletsGeneric Name: Chlorpheniramine/Dextromethorphan/Phenylephrine
(klor-fen-EER-a-meen/dex -troe-meth-OR-fan/fen-ill-EF-rin)Brand Name:
ED DM Chewable Tablets are used for:
Relieving sinus congestion, runny nose, sneezing, and cough due to colds, upper respiratory infections, and allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
ED DM Chewable Tablets are a decongestant, antihistamine, and cough suppressant combination. It works by constricting blood vessels and reducing swelling in the nasal passages. The antihistamine works by blocking histamine, which helps reduce symptoms, such as watery eyes and sneezing, while the cough suppressant works in the brain to help decrease the cough reflex.
Do NOT use ED DM Chewable Tablets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in ED DM Chewable Tablets
- you have severe high blood pressure, severe heart blood vessel disease, rapid heartbeat, or severe heart problems
- you are unable to urinate or are having an asthma attack
- you take sodium oxybate (GHB) or you have taken furazolidone or a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor (eg, phenelzine) within the last 14 days
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using ED DM Chewable Tablets:
Some medical conditions may interact with ED DM Chewable Tablets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- if you have a history of adrenal gland problems (eg, tumor); heart problems; high blood pressure; diabetes; heart blood vessel problems; stroke; glaucoma; a blockage of your stomach, intestines, or bladder; ulcers; trouble urinating; an enlarged prostate or other prostate problems; seizures; or an overactive thyroid
- if you have a history of asthma, chronic cough, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), or other lung problems (eg, chronic bronchitis, emphysema), or if your cough produces large amounts of mucus
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with ED DM Chewable Tablets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), COMT inhibitors (eg, tolcapone), furazolidone, indomethacin, MAO inhibitors (eg, phenelzine), sodium oxybate (GHB), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline) because side effects of ED DM Chewable Tablets may be increased
- Digoxin or droxidopa because the risk of irregular heartbeat or heart attack may be increased
- Bromocriptine or hydantoins (eg, phenytoin) because side effects may be increased by ED DM Chewable Tablets
- Guanadrel, guanethidine, methyldopa, mecamylamine, or reserpine because their effectiveness may be decreased by ED DM Chewable Tablets
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if ED DM Chewable Tablets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use ED DM Chewable Tablets:
Use ED DM Chewable Tablets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- ED DM Chewable Tablets may be taken with or without food.
- Chew thoroughly before swallowing.
- If you miss a dose of ED DM Chewable Tablets, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use ED DM Chewable Tablets.
Important safety information:
- ED DM Chewable Tablets may cause dizziness, drowsiness, or blurred vision. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to ED DM Chewable Tablets. Using ED DM Chewable Tablets alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Do not take diet or appetite control medicines while you are taking ED DM Chewable Tablets without checking with your doctor.
- ED DM Chewable Tablets contains phenylephrine. Before you begin taking any new prescription or nonprescription medicine, read the ingredients to see if it also contains phenylephrine. If it does or if you are uncertain, contact your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do NOT exceed the recommended dose or take ED DM Chewable Tablets for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- If your symptoms do not improve within 5 to 7 days or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- ED DM Chewable Tablets may cause increased sensitivity to the sun. Avoid exposure to the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to ED DM Chewable Tablets. Use a sunscreen or protective clothing if you must be outside for a prolonged period.
- If you are scheduled for allergy skin testing, do not take ED DM Chewable Tablets for several days before the test because it may decrease your response to the skin tests.
- Before you have any medical or dental treatments, emergency care, or surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are using ED DM Chewable Tablets.
- Use ED DM Chewable Tablets with caution in the ELDERLY because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- Caution is advised when using ED DM Chewable Tablets in CHILDREN because they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking ED DM Chewable Tablets, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using ED DM Chewable Tablets during pregnancy. It is unknown if ED DM Chewable Tablets are excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking ED DM Chewable Tablets.
Possible side effects of ED DM Chewable Tablets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; drowsiness; excitability; headache; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness or anxiety; trouble sleeping; upset stomach; vomiting; weakness.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); difficulty urinating or inability to urinate; fast or irregular heartbeat; hallucinations; seizures; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; tremor; trouble sleeping; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include blurred vision; confusion; hallucinations; severe dizziness, lightheadedness, or headache; severe drowsiness; seizures; unusually fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; vomiting.Proper storage of ED DM Chewable Tablets:
Store ED DM Chewable Tablets at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep ED DM Chewable Tablets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about ED DM Chewable Tablets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- ED DM Chewable Tablets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about ED DM Chewable Tablets. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.